A Late Xmas Gift for me (oscilloscope)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've been saving for several months now to get something like this. I like the specs of this unit but the ability to take screenshots of the display is a must. I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on the subject.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It has a USB port right under the screen for a flash drive to plug into for saving the screenshot files. Check with @tautech and see if they have one now that allows direct connection to the computer for screen grabs. With your mobility problems that may be a better solution for you. Other than that, I am very pleased with the SDS 1102CML+ 100MHz (became an SDS 1152CML+ 150MHz when I did their firmware free upgrade) I have. The SDS1202X-E 200 MHz is a step up from there. Although, I do lust for their SDS2000X Plus 4 channel with serial/I2C decode and built-in 50MHz waveform generator...

Tell Santa you're on his "Good List"

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
@Wendy- Make sure of what you're getting. You want a minimum of 1gsa/S (that is 1 billion samples per second, for a true 200MHz frequency range, and you want 3 probes. Get an extra probe if it comes with 2.

You might compare it with:

RIGOL DS1202Z-E

I got this earlier this year, and love it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
2 channels should be enough. Grabbers on the probes is a must. I only have one working hand after all. Do you think it can dump the screen onto a Thumb Drive? That would be a major plus for some of the articles I would like to write.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Do you think it can dump the screen onto a Thumb Drive?
Yes, very quickly and can probably hold 50+ screen shots on a 32GB drive. From the time I hit the print screen button until it says screen saved on the display is only a couple of seconds. What I did have to do for my black and white printer was to play around with the default screen colors to find one that worked better when printing mono.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I've been saving for several months now to get something like this. I like the specs of this unit but the ability to take screenshots of the display is a must. I would be interested in other peoples thoughts on the subject.
As jpanhalt says the new SDS1104X-U should be worth considering instead unless you particularly need the 200 MHz BW SDS1202X-E offers.
Other than 200 MHz vs 100 MHz the 4ch X_U has much the same capability albeit no 500uV/div max sensitivity.

For instant PNG screenshots to USB use the front panel blue Print button. They're typically just 40-60 KB PNG file and the file # increments if you don't choose to name the file for which you need use the Save/Recall menu to access the virtual keypad.

Seasons greeting to all.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Will it print directly to a printer or save to a remote computer/drive now via USB or still simply save to a flash drive?
You have a few options Sam.
Screenshots can be saved in a variety of filetypes directly to USB from within the Save/Recall menu however like with your SDS1102CML+ and when using the SW utility EasyScopeX and connected to a PC via USB or LAN the UI within EasyScopeX allows for file saves directly to PC.
The Print button is just a shortcut for USB captured screenshots....as in Print the screen capture to a USB stick.

For more seamless DSO to PC file saves DSO's with an inbuilt web server can be a simpler option as you only need tell you PC browser the DSO's IP address and you can fully control the DSO from your PC and screenshots are saved to your browsers download folder. To do this we don't use the Print button but instead have a virtual button just for screenshots.
The big brother to what Wendy is looking at, the SDS1104X-E and all the other X-E DSO's except SDS1202X-E have the web server feature.

Not everyone needs such capability however for those requiring screenshots to include in documentation direct saves to PC are more convenient than just to a USB stick.
Hope that shines some light but if you need know more please ask.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We bought (15) SDS1202X-E for our lab and are very happy with them.
When you get the scope compare the firmware version with the latest version on Siglent's firmware download page.
When we got the scopes there was a software error in the vertical scale readout that was corrected in later firmware revisions.
You need a USB memory stick to upgrade the firmware on the oscilloscope. The process goes smoothly by simply following the instructions on the screen.

https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Got my new O scope today. I intigrated it to my my collapsible workstation like this...

Workbench.jpg

And this is is the first image I have recorded onto a thumb drive (the first of many), The signal comes from a function generator I pulled out of mothballs...
SDS00001.png

2B Continued.