A good first job, sort of

prophoss

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I am in the big middle of working on my mid-life career change. After 22 years in the printing industry I am now working toward a computer engineering degree. I am at an associates degree level, but not really far enough along for an internship. I am looking to get a different job that is at least in the direction of my new career choice. Thought I'd get some opinions as I look around. Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Good idea to get into a profession (or vocation) that has a definite future and it won't be obsoleted by technological advancement. Are you in a 2 or 4 year program?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
There is a real challenge.
Actually, if you closely follow the industrial technology field, you can get an idea of the trend for eliminating human labor from various processes.

I started in the elevator business over 40 years ago and I've seen how so called "expert systems" have minimized the need for human troubleshooting. Throw away modular construction of industrial control systems is another problem that might impact the job market. We're already seeing this happen with flat screens that are simply trashed instead of being repaired.

Engineering design is also being automated with computer simulation. So you just have to look at the what you believe the future holds for what ever you're studying.

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Just to say "hats off" to you prophoss.. dont think I could stump up the motivation to do what your doing! Best of luck!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I spent my career in Process Control Automation and it eliminated quite a few jobs. In fact, our Plant went from 1400 to <400 employees almost entirely through early retirement incentives, attrition, and retirements. While it does eliminate a lot of semiskilled labor and back-breaking drudgery, it requires skilled/professional labor to design, install, operate, and maintain. This means that education and training are highly valued.

prophoss

Joined Feb 26, 2019
Well I put in a few applications for a couple of different copier companies, Richo, and Konica minolta. I actually heard back from one of them already! I will be having a phone interview next week for a tech job. I kind of figured that I had some practical experience, and my new studies might lend it's self to possible promotion in the future. At any rate it might be a good place to start. Here's hoping.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
On the subject of being qualified for future employment, there is a story about a couple of guys in the woods who got spotted by a bear who immediately came after them.

Both of them starting running like hell and one of them said "I hope I can outrun that bear". However, the other guy said "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to out run you".

Now think about the reasoning in this story and how it might apply to you increasing your chances for employment.