A/D Word Clock Generator Question

Joster

Joined Jun 12, 2013
Hi All,

We all know a rock solid word clock signal will improve any budget level recording interface. I just cant figure out why they are so expensive. Seems like a pretty simple task creating a jitter free clock signal at 48 kHz. I am sure i don't understand something. I mean i know about crystal oscillators and pll's and such. You would think you could connect up an oscillator and a pll to a good power supply and a bnc connector/ Any way curious to know peoples thoughts on my question.

Thanks All,

Joe

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi All,

We all know a rock solid word clock signal will improve any budget level recording interface. I just cant figure out why they are so expensive. Seems like a pretty simple task creating a jitter free clock signal at 48 kHz. I am sure i don't understand something. I mean i know about crystal oscillators and pll's and such. You would think you could connect up an oscillator and a pll to a good power supply and a bnc connector/ Any way curious to know peoples thoughts on my question.
What question? I don't see a question in the entire post.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What question? I don't see a question in the entire post.
I think the OP wants to know why 'word clocks' are so costly/difficult to implement --- That's one on me:confused: -- But then I'm not especially au fait with 'niche' A/D conversion terminology...:oops::rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Good point. Joster, how much are you being asked to pay, and what are you getting for the price? $15 (crystal oscillator and divider)? $1600 (Rubidium Standard and PLL)? Also, what are the phase jitter or Allen Deviation specs for what you are talking about.

ak