a circuit which turn on the light as a response to a specific sound sequence

Akshay_1485792859

Joined Jan 30, 2017
I want to make a simple circuit which turns on the light when hearing a specific sound sequence .. for example : a beep sound -second gap-another beep sound .

please suggst a simple circuit with out the help of voice recognition

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Amplifier- Band pass filter- rectifier- light filter- 555 delay pulse- second 555 enabling pulse- and gate- driver.
Simple ??
What about an illegal 3 beep sequence? Second beep falling in first delay period could be ANDed with delay pulse causing a total reset.?

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Clap on clap off: the Clapper !

Seriously, you have a lot of things totest there. Sound. Time intervals. More sounds.

Something like a microphone to an amplifier to a LM567 tone generator gets you a logic pulse when you make the correct beep. The 567 detects specific tones, I never used one but it may work with you whistling at it.

For the time sequence I'd be hard pressed to say anything but a small micro controller. That's what I would use but I have used them before so I don't have a learning curve to rise.

Akshay_1485792859

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Amplifier- Band pass filter- rectifier- light filter- 555 delay pulse- second 555 enabling pulse- and gate- driver.
Simple ??
What about an illegal 3 beep sequence? Second beep falling in first delay period could be ANDed with delay pulse causing a total reset.?
will that work ? is the circuit have response to that specific sound in that time period u mentioned .. i can produce beep sound with any specific time delay with them using an smartphone app that i created ... ithe circuit shold be responsible to only that sound that is the only condition that i have

Akshay_1485792859

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Clap on clap off: the Clapper !

Seriously, you have a lot of things totest there. Sound. Time intervals. More sounds.

Something like a microphone to an amplifier to a LM567 tone generator gets you a logic pulse when you make the correct beep. The 567 detects specific tones, I never used one but it may work with you whistling at it.

For the time sequence I'd be hard pressed to say anything but a small micro controller. That's what I would use but I have used them before so I don't have a learning curve to rise.

I can produce beep sound with any specific time delay with them using an smartphone app that i created ... the circuit should be responsible to only that sound that is the only condition that i have....can lm567 modified to become responsive to a specific sound pattern like I mentioned ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Lm567 cannot be modified by itself to do what you desire. You will need supporting circuitry.

I am in a waiting area, but envision one tone detector feeding a serial to parallel shift register (74HC595) clocked at 1 pulse per second. The outputs of the first three bits (or more, keep reading) go to a 3 input AND gate, where each position representing a pause goes through a NOT gate first.

Then when you play your sequence, it is ahifted in position and the AND gate indicates when it receives the correct sequence.

I recommend adding extra pause states, to isolate s sequence. Two extra bits would require 2 seconds of silence between attempts.

Of course, the sequence and between states can be longer.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, just recognized the flaw in this... it needs to recognize the first tone and start the clock then. Otherwise, you'd have to be psychic to synchronize the circuits with your clock.

Akshay_1485792859

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Ok, just recognized the flaw in this... it needs to recognize the first tone and start the clock then. Otherwise, you'd have to be psychic to synchronize the circuits with your clock.
ya that true..I have seen a similar device in shark tank , this one turns off the power when hearing a smoke detector alarm ..i want a simple version of that

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Looks like LM 567 would be a good addition. Is the input from a mic.? Need at least 200 mV of input signal.
Output of LM feeds directly into 555 as one shot unless we make the beep long, 1.5 sec.?, and reject pulses shorter. What is the light ?
400 Hz. 1.5 s beep, 1.5 s blank ( an outlaw pulse in the blank will cause a reset ? ) , 1.5 s. beep = light on.

Akshay_1485792859

Joined Jan 30, 2017
Looks like LM 567 would be a good addition. Is the input from a mic.? Need at least 200 mV of input signal.
Output of LM feeds directly into 555 as one shot unless we make the beep long, 1.5 sec.?, and reject pulses shorter. What is the light ?
400 Hz. 1.5 s beep, 1.5 s blank ( an outlaw pulse in the blank will cause a reset ? ) , 1.5 s. beep = light on.

all i need is an output .. the whole circuit should depend on the response to a specific sound pattern .. THis is basically my project , using an android app i made ,I can make sound with specific time gape like i already mentioned , the circuit should recognize that and turn on a light or give some kind of other output ..is that possible with the circuit that u mentioned ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have spent most of the afternoon sketching schematics. In order to be reliable, you need a module to detect the tone. That starts an internal clock in another module that does two things. 1) waits for a second and 2) starts a shift register. The module with the shift register shifts the tone or lack of tone in the register. Another module looks at the parallel sequence, and decides if it matched your desired sequence. If so, it sets the output and stops the clock.

And we don't know how you want to restart the circuit.

This would take a handful of ICs. An LM567 connected to a small microprocessor that you know how to code for, would be much simpler to me.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, I still don't have a schematic. Probably will have one by tonight. But before I do, want to see if this is what you want.

Verbally, this is how it works.

* LM576 into SR Latch and...
* SR Latch Q output to 1st counter enable pin.
* 100Hz clock input to first counter. This enabled differentiation of received tone to within 1/100 second.
* 2nd counter daisy chained from 1st and to 3rd.
* Output of second counter goes to shift register clock at 1 Hz
* LM576 also is routed to the serial in pin of the shift register.
* Every second, the output of the shift register shifts in a new value from the tone detector
* The parallel outputs of the shift register are wired to a multi-input AND gate, with the sequence interval where no time is expected has its corresponding pin routed through a NOT gate.
* The output of the AND gate goes to the D input of a D Flip Flop.
* When the 3rd counter's pin corresponding to the 2s position, or 3rd count, goes high, the signal is used to clock the D Flip Flop and value presented at the output of the multi-input NAND gate is presented on the Q output
* Decode the value of 3 (an AND gate) on the 3rd counter, and reset the SR latch, the 3rd counter and preload the 1st and 2nd counters to 99.

This is a latch design. Play the sequence once and the output goes high. After a pause, play the sequence again and the output goes low.

I am thinking that before I draw the schematic, we'd need
3 - 4510 BCD Counters
2 - 4013 Dual D Flip Flops
1 - 74HC495 Shift Register.
1 - Dual Quad input AND gate
1 or 2 - Hex Inverters
various resistors and capacitors.

Does this sound like something that would do what you want?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is the schematic to back up original broad suggestion. The Mic. used on breadboard is ARCHER
( R-S ), 270-092A. We do not know your beep frequency, so assumed 600 Hz.
LED's can be added to outputs of U2,3 &4 to monitor operation. For U5 add a U1 spare invertor as a LED driver. As there is no information on " The Light " , there is no supporting circuitry. A R-S latch can be made from spare U5 sections. Chew on it for awhile ,then ask away.
On breadboard a 555 & inverter was substituted for LM567 of which I do not have,

remainder of circuit worked. Coded  Light  #2 00000.jpg
Some # were erased, U3-8, U4-8 go to +5 V, U4-4 goes to + 5 V.

Attachments

Last edited:

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have spent most of the afternoon sketching schematics. In order to be reliable, you need a module to detect the tone. That starts an internal clock in another module that does two things. 1) waits for a second and 2) starts a shift register. The module with the shift register shifts the tone or lack of tone in the register. Another module looks at the parallel sequence, and decides if it matched your desired sequence. If so, it sets the output and stops the clock.

And we don't know how you want to restart the circuit.

This would take a handful of ICs. An LM567 connected to a small microprocessor that you know how to code for, would be much simpler to me.
If you have the microcontroller what do you need the LM567 for? The microcontroller can detect the 400 Hz tone.