8 pin timer and a doorbell

Jucost

Joined Jan 27, 2022
Hey guys,

I'm an apprentice controls electrician - at our shop delivery drivers are always burning out the transformer on our residential door chime kit from holding the button down too long. I have an 8 pin timing relay (Schneider RE48AMH13MW) with base that we demo'd thats electrically rated for the application.. can someone help me wrap my head around to wire this so that when someone holds the button down we don't have constant power to the chime kit?

Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is that one of those bell transformers that fit in the lid of a junction box?
If so, they are very low VA rated.
Your bell solenoids may be a little too much for them.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Agree, the only way the transformer would burn out would be if the door chime takes too much power (current) when active (button pressed).
Solution is to have a transformer that matches the current draw of the door chime, or get a door chime that uses less power.
PS: Your drawing does not show any "8 pin" device... I assume you are asking how to integrate a timer that we know nothing about....

Jucost

Joined Jan 27, 2022
Is that one of those bell transformers that fit in the lid of a junction box?
If so, they are very low VA rated.
Your bell solenoids may be a little too much for them.
Thats exactly the transformer. Do you think just upgrading the transformer will do the trick?

Jucost

Joined Jan 27, 2022
I'd really appreciate the opportunity to figure out how to wire the timer to prevent the solenoid from closing for extended periods of time, does it look like something that could be done and if so how?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'm an apprentice controls electrician - at our shop delivery drivers are always burning out the transformer on our residential door chime kit from holding the button down too long. I have an 8 pin timing relay (Schneider RE48AMH13MW) with base that we demo'd thats electrically rated for the application.. can someone help me wrap my head around to wire this so that when someone holds the button down we don't have constant power to the chime kit?
Not really clear, is this an in-house installation or Kits you make and sell ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The specifications for this project feel confused. While the obvious solution to the problem of burning out the transformer is to replaced it with a properly rated one, I have the definite impression the TS also wants:

1. To use the timer successfully ("I'm an apprentice controls electrician"), and;
2. To prevent the drivers from being annoying the staff with long ringing. (though I am not sure if the annunciator continues to sound if the button is held down.

I think 1, above is the larger motivator, to learn how to make it work and to demonstrate to the journeymen on the shop his initiative. So, while the real answer in the case of simply preventing a burnt transformer would be to get a new one, that doesn't seem to be addressing the unspoken requirements.

@Jucost Could you please describe the behavior you would like? That is, explain how things would go from the time the driver presses the button to the time the ringing would end. Also, is the bell a chime type unit that strikes a sounder when powered and another when power is removed, or does it sound continuously with power applied?

Another question, can the driver hear the bell, and so get feedback that pressing the button made it ring?