7 volt supply to 6 volt bulb help

Brennie

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Hello
A little help please...
A very simple question.....I have an old Braun radio/record player...the bulb that lights the tuning dial is, I believe, an E10(screw) 7 volt... 7 watt ...now,I can find plenty of 6 volt bulbs... The one I have works but I would like it brighter....can I use a 6 volt 10 or 15 watt bulb instead? Or, would the difference in voltage cause problems?
Thank you in advance...
Brennie

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Going with a higher wattage bulb may overload the 7V supply.
A 6V bulb could be used but you would likely need to add a resistor in series to reduce the voltage to the bulb, otherwise the bulb life will be rather short.

Brennie

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Going with a higher wattage bulb may overload the 7V supply.
A 6V bulb could be used but you would likely need to add a resistor in series to reduce the voltage to the bulb, otherwise the bulb life will be rather short.
Thank you for you speedy reply...just looking for a little more brightness....would an LED be an ideal replacement do you thing if I swapped out the screw in bulb holder for a bayonet type?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
These days a white LED would be a great choice for brightness but you might find the illumination area a bit restrictive, you could though have multiple LEDs as you do have a reasonable amount of power, then you might be able to spread the light around more like a standard bulb. I wouldn't go for a standard LED fitting though as you'll not get the light dispersion angles with a single LED bulb, I'd put something together yourself that way you get to control the dispersion.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You could probably use the 6W bulb if you put two diodes in series with it to reduce yhe voltage. If the power is AC use two sets of diodes, one set for each direction.