6v Charging Port Wiring

T2true

Joined Mar 4, 2021
Hello. New to the forum.

My wife bought a ride-on toy for my grand daughter.
It's a simple setup electronically:
A 6v battery, a pressure switch (pedal), and a [female] charging port for the battery.

There is a disconnect/short at the charging port that causes it to not work when the pedal is depressed. However, "jiggling" the wires connected to the charging port will cause it to work sporadically.

I'd like to replace the charging port and re-wire that section. But, I don't know what that is called. 6v charging port is not coming up with anything.

Can anyone tell what its technical name is and where I can find one?

Also, there is something wired inline with the [red] battery lead to the charging port. (See image.) Can anyone tell me what that is and if it is necessary?

Thanks

Ride On Toy Charging Port III.jpg Ride On Toy Charging Port I.jpg

Ride On Toy Charging Port II.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi T2,
This link shows the type of DC connector, check the diameter of the pin and socket are the same as the toy's charger.
Some types of connector are designed to cut off running the toy while it is being charged, this protects the charger.

Pins are about 2.1mm in dia,

The object in the Red wire is a Diode, used to prevent voltage reversal to the toy.
E
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03-3nlL_3daA4aqCpr66pdDZAf2Zw:1614934378019&ei=avFBYLtSp6PV8A--vovQCQ&q=dc+power+connector+images&oq=dc+power+connector+images&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEBYQHjoHCAAQsAMQQzoECAAQQzoCCABQqNQBWPnmAWCa7wFoAXACeACAAWyIAfMEkgEDNy4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwi7r7-v45jvAhWnURUIHT7fApoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

T2true

Joined Mar 4, 2021
hi T2,
This link shows the type of DC connector, check the diameter of the pin and socket are the same as the toy's charger.
Some types of connector are designed to cut off running the toy while it is being charged, this protects the charger.

Pins are about 2.1mm in dia,

The object in the Red wire is a Diode, used to prevent voltage reversal to the toy.
E
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk03-3nlL_3daA4aqCpr66pdDZAf2Zw:1614934378019&ei=avFBYLtSp6PV8A--vovQCQ&q=dc+power+connector+images&oq=dc+power+connector+images&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEBYQHjoHCAAQsAMQQzoECAAQQzoCCABQqNQBWPnmAWCa7wFoAXACeACAAWyIAfMEkgEDNy4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwi7r7-v45jvAhWnURUIHT7fApoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5
Thank you Eric. I really appreciate the information.
Question about the diode: any idea what size that is for the 6v setup?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you Eric. I really appreciate the information.
Question about the diode: any idea what size that is for the 6v setup?

Selecting a diode for this application you will be more concerned with current (amps) than voltage. That looks like a 1A diode But it should have a part number on it. 1A seems small to me, but the charge current may be low. Be sure to observe the polarity when installing it, it will be indicated with a white band on one end.

T2true

Joined Mar 4, 2021
Selecting a diode for this application you will be more concerned with current (amps) than voltage. That looks like a 1A diode But it should have a part number on it. 1A seems small to me, but the charge current may be low. Be sure to observe the polarity when installing it, it will be indicated with a white band on one end.
Thanks. I will check for a part number on the diode itself to see what I can find.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
There is a spring contact inside the connector that shorts the blue and black (Battery- and Motor-) together. When the charger plug is inserted, the contact opens disconnecting the motor. The charger plug was probably inserted when the motor was running. Breaking the contact with current flowing would arc and damage the contact.
The diode looks like a 1N400X series 1 amp rectifier. Can you read the part number on it? It should be working OK.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi T2,
You may find the problem is due to the charger socket on the end of its cable.
The quality is poor, often its just a bifurcated piece of metal that makes poor contact with either side of the mating pin.

Post an image looking inside the cable socket [ charger wire]
E

T2true

Joined Mar 4, 2021
There is a spring contact inside the connector that shorts the blue and black (Battery- and Motor-) together. When the charger plug is inserted, the contact opens disconnecting the motor. The charger plug was probably inserted when the motor was running. Breaking the contact with current flowing would arc and damage the contact.
The diode looks like a 1N400X series 1 amp rectifier. Can you read the part number on it? It should be working OK.
That's good information. It is a used toy that "didn't work" when we got it and we don't have the charger. I wanted to see if I can get it working before buying a charger. And, I can when adjusting the wires at the charging port. But, only for a short period. Thus, why I would like to replace/re-wire it.
That makes sense about inserting the charger while it was running.
If I can't figure out the charging port, I'll probably remove the charging port altogether and figure another way to charge the battery. But, I'd like to get it figured out and fixed.

The diode part number as it reads on the part is:
SR260
KE

T2true

Joined Mar 4, 2021
hi T2,
You may find the problem is due to the charger socket on the end of its cable.
The quality is poor, often its just a bifurcated piece of metal that makes poor contact with either side of the mating pin.

Post an image looking inside the cable socket [ charger wire]
E
I don't have the charger. Before buying one, I wanted to see if I could get the toy running. I think I can but lacked some information that you guys have provided.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
SR260 is a 2 Amp Schottky barrier rectifier. Check it with a multimeter. If it is low resistance in one direction and very high in the other, it is OK.
That means that you need a 6 volt 1 to 1.5 amp battery charger. I am assuming that the battery is lead/acid gel.
You can use any type of charger socket that will carry that current, as long as you don't try charging with the motor running. That may damage the charger.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi T2,
The 12Vdc is the maximum rating for the connector, 6V will be OK.
E
BTW: Ensure that the Pin diameters match on the Plug and mating Socket, the dia's cover a range of mm's.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I couldn't get the wires to sit in the right place for the pressure switch (pedal) to work consistently. Therefore, I cut off the DC power jack and connected the switch and ground wires.
I want to replace the jack. I found one that looks identical to the one on the toy:

https://www.newark.com/cliff-electr...493/dc-power-conn-jack-2-5mm-panel/dp/63W4046

However, it says it is 12v. Could it be used in this application?
As @ericgibbs mentioned, the 12V is a maximum rating. As you do more electronics you will start to recognize what the ratings mean based on the kind of device being rated. Once resource will be the datasheets that are provided. The ratings are explicit on them, so the 12VDC in this case will be “Vmax”, maximum voltage and there will be no rated “Vmin”, minimum voltage.

A power jack is a passive component, and most passive components don’t have a minimum voltage rating. Things that are powered by the current being fed them will have the Vmin/Vmax pair since they need a certain voltage to operate.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I couldn't get the wires to sit in the right place for the pressure switch (pedal) to work consistently. Therefore, I cut off the DC power jack and connected the switch and ground wires.
I want to replace the jack. I found one that looks identical to the one on the toy:

https://www.newark.com/cliff-electr...493/dc-power-conn-jack-2-5mm-panel/dp/63W4046

However, it says it is 12v. Could it be used in this application?
That one will do the job. I recommend that you buy the matching plug for the charger at the same time - Newark Part No. 96F9610.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm looking for the wall outlet plug that part 96F9610 would be wired to. Maybe it's called an AC/DC Power Supply. The part that plugs into an AC wall outlet.
What you need is a 6V lead gel battery charger. They come in all shapes and sizes. You need one that can deliver between 1 and 1.5 amps. You will probably not find one with the right connector so you will need that plug anyway.