60 Hz from 4.9152 HC-49U crystal and divider design ?

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
I have some 4.9152 HC-49U crystals.
I have read that CD4541 followed by CD4017 can divide so that the ICs
CD4541 can divide such that 4915200 / 8192 = 600 , followed by the CD4017 resulting in 600 / 10 = 60 Hz
also possibly 600 / 12 = 50 Hz

I am not sure if this math has a average delay time?
Also what cost effective alternatives are available for either 3.3Vdc or 5.0 Vdc.
The priority initially is on reliability (longevity endurance and stability), later the end results in a clean filtered 60 Hz sine.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The CD4541 likely won't work at a 4.9MHz clock frequency.
You might try a 74HC4060 or 74HC4061 which can operate at over 20MHz with a 5V supply.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
Colpitts 4.9152 Mhz crystal oscillator 3% THD.JPG
Ok thanks for the feedback, I ordered Motorrola MC74HC4060AN.

It has been many years since I have worked on real digital and after reviewing the project goals I am doing a 360 on the crystal.
I have had second thoughts on the oscillator section, I simulated.a reliable 3% THD sine but getting it to standard square pulse
would involve Schmitt trigger lacks the ppm, the ready to go temperature compensation and simplicity that TXCO 4 pin can offer..
I will post the schematic here in digital where those searching for a crystal SINE WAVE would logically look, it is because the
moderator moved the topic here. Multisim is a little quirky using crystals, I use software electronics workbench for design but I rely on
a real test bench to confirm actual results. I will be looking at the output of the MC74HC4060, the input is initially a signal generator with readout.
(In the schematic the crystal's electrical equivalent just hangs out there. I put it this way intentionally so that it would not be an off page sub- circuit and because I can see the motional parameters. The Colpitts design draws about 7.5 mA ,sine wave THD < 3% )

Colpitts 4.9152 Mhz crystal oscillator 3% THD.JPG

As it turns out the project now will change direction and use TXCO oscillator to match the 4060 divider for simplicity.
Anyone following this, I will be using the TXCO for in the future. And again the goal has tolerance for this application of 600.000 Hertz / 10.000

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
View attachment 165811
Ok thanks for the feedback, I ordered Motorrola MC74HC4060AN.

It has been many years since I have worked on real digital and after reviewing the project goals I am doing a 360 on the crystal.
I have had second thoughts on the oscillator section, I simulated.a reliable 3% THD sine but getting it to standard square pulse
would involve Schmitt trigger lacks the ppm, the ready to go temperature compensation and simplicity that TXCO 4 pin can offer..
I will post the schematic here in digital where those searching for a crystal SINE WAVE would logically look, it is because the
moderator moved the topic here. Multisim is a little quirky using crystals, I use software electronics workbench for design but I rely on
a real test bench to confirm actual results. I will be looking at the output of the MC74HC4060, the input is initially a signal generator with readout.
(In the schematic the crystal's electrical equivalent just hangs out there. I put it this way intentionally so that it would not be an off page sub- circuit and because I can see the motional parameters. The Colpitts design draws about 7.5 mA ,sine wave THD < 3% )

View attachment 165811

As it turns out the project now will change direction and use TXCO oscillator to match the 4060 divider for simplicity.
Anyone following this, I will be using the TXCO for in the future. And again the goal has tolerance for this application of 600.000 Hertz / 10.000
In order to give specific reference to document the process being used I refer to Philips 74HCU04 data sheet.
The Philips data sheet I felt is more verbose, I am using a Motorola MC74HCU04N because that is what I have.
The specifics on which TCXO might be derived from building an oscillator from a HCU04.
Datasheet:
https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/848212.pdf
It is difficult to be specific on which TCXO oscillator design is used in the many varieties of crystal can oscillators.
It is usually a Pierce type design. The design in the datasheet can take advantage of using an R2.
and the gain is low the current draw is typically 5mA.

Looking at the datasheet :
figure 5. shows the real core of one Unbuffered inverter ( U ( or unbuffered) can be identified in the part MC74HC U 04 )
figure 13. shows a crystal oscillator configuration.
figure 12. shows a linear amplfier (5 are available)
The recommended voltage can be between 2.5 and 6V

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What is it you are trying to generate or achieve, and why? A little context goes a long way.

You cannot divide a clock signal by 12 with a CD4017. Here is another way to go. Starting with Wally's suggestion, the last output of a 4060 is the clock frequency divided by 16384. With your crystal, that is 300 Hz. Divide by 5 or 6 to get your desired outputs. You can do either with one 4017 and a jumper to select the divide ratio. BUT - neither of those dividers will produce a symmetrical (50/50 duty cycle) output square wave.

ak

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
4060.JPG
What is it you are trying to generate or achieve, and why? A little context goes a long way.

You cannot divide a clock signal by 12 with a CD4017. Here is another way to go. Starting with Wally's suggestion, the last output of a 4060 is the clock frequency divided by 16384. With your crystal, that is 300 Hz. Divide by 5 or 6 to get your desired outputs. You can do either with one 4017 and a jumper to select the divide ratio. BUT - neither of those dividers will produce a symmetrical (50/50 duty cycle) output square wave.

ak
Sorry about for the delayed response. Sure whatever is more accurate.
I etched a board while I was waiting for parts to come from China.

Context about the application is to improve accuracy of 60 Hertz reference frequency for use in instrumentation.
A simple use could be a power inverter, a synchronized inverter or phase synchronizing tool ( utilizing the reset) not necessarily grid tie but
improving accuracy in combining generator ( or other alt energy ) such as solar, wind, ect. It could have opto coupling to phase lock or frequency to voltage.
Thanks for asking.

To illustrate the idea of dividing by other integers I included an old drawing above to show those division options. Grabbing the signal out of pin 3.

Last edited: