5V cmos driving 3.3V cmos

Fairface

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Hello guys, so I am asking this here becouse I wasn't able to find this anywhere else.
So I have a 74hc161 chip running at 5V that I need to connect into another 74hc157 chip running at 3.3V.
I know that this probably requires level shifting, but the datasheet for 74hc157 doesn't specify the maximum input voltage on a pin.
So what is the maximum input voltage for 74hc? Is it Vcc or the maximum supply voltage (6V)?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The Vcc of 74HCxx series ic is 2~6V, but when you apply 3.3V for it then the input voltage better not to over 3.3V, otherwise it could be damaged, you can check the page 4 of 74HC04.

So you need to use the voltage shifter as 74HC06 or others and adding the pull up 10K resistor, please to check the page 2 has internal structure to shown that it is a open collector, adding +5V to the Vcc of 74HC06 and the adding the pull resistor to the 3.3V.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you drive 5V into an input pin on a chip running at 3.3V you are going to drive current through the input protection diodes into Vcc of the lower voltage device.

Use a level shifter such as 74LVC245.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
This is what the Nexperia datasheet for the 74HC157 says :-
"Input clamping current, for Vin < -0.5 V or Vin > V CC + 0.5 V, is ±20 mA maximum".
In other words, you can theoretically apply more than 3.8V to your '157 (with its 3.3V supply) providing you limit the current through the input protection diodes to a good bit less than 20mA. In practice, it would be better to use a level-shifter as has been suggested above.

Fairface

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Thanks alot for your replys, these were very useful. I am definetly going to look into some level shifters than.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If the frequency of operation isn't too high, you can make a resistive voltage divider and then you don't have to worry about turning on the protection diodes.

Fairface

Joined Nov 10, 2017
If the frequency of operation isn't too high, you can make a resistive voltage divider and then you don't have to worry about turning on the protection diodes.
Yeah I tought about that, but the 74lvc245 has very conveniently placed inputs on one side and outputs on the other side,
so I am going to use that. Plus I am working with 20MHz on some adress lines so I don't want to use resistors.
Thanks for your suggestion though.