555 HYSTERETIC OSCILLATOR help

king40

Joined Jul 17, 2013
555 HYSTERETIC OSCILLATOR

hi

i'm new in forum

i want use this SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM

this is possible to edit this circle to active output frequency by input voltage 0f 0 volt to 15 volt
my means active circle with VCC and GND but active output frequency

by my input (another input) from voltage 0 to 15 volt
this is possible??:(

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for posting a schematic.

I cannot understand your question. Are you hoping to control the frequency of oscillation by controlling it with a voltage? If so, what frequency range do you want?

king40

Joined Jul 17, 2013
Thank you for posting a schematic.

I cannot understand your question. Are you hoping to control the frequency of oscillation by controlling it with a voltage? If so, what frequency range do you want?
thanks for answer
i want convert voltage to frequency with 555
this SCHEMATIC work fine
but just convert VCC voltage to frequency
i want convert voltage separate of VCC voltage
from range 0 volt to 15 volt
output frequency range not important
thanks

king40

Joined Jul 17, 2013
You want a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) such as this.

Couldn't see what circuit you posted in the previous post.
i want to edit this circuit

this circuit convert VCC voltage to frequency
but i want to edit this circuit to convert another voltage separate of VCC
and from range 0 volt to 15 volt
output frequency range not important

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That circuit does not convert Vcc to frequency. In fact, the frequency is relatively independent of Vcc.

You need a circuit similar to what I posted.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
If you connect your controlling voltage between pin 5 and ground in your first circuit, you'll get a little variation in the output frequency. Depending on how much variation your need over voltage. You'll want to keep the control voltage lower than VCC.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
That circuit does not convert Vcc to frequency. In fact, the frequency is relatively independent of Vcc.

You need a circuit similar to what I posted.
If I understand him, he wants to use a 555 with a fixed Vcc of 15V, and to control its frequency with a separate control voltage that goes from 0 to 15V.
This could be done with a voltage-controlled current source which controls the 555 frequency. I think it will need a frequency offset, with a non-zero frequency corresponding to zero volts in.

king40

Joined Jul 17, 2013
If I understand him, he wants to use a 555 with a fixed Vcc of 15V, and to control its frequency with a separate control voltage that goes from 0 to 15V.
This could be done with a voltage-controlled current source which controls the 555 frequency. I think it will need a frequency offset, with a non-zero frequency corresponding to zero volts in.
Exactly
and when
separate control voltage=0 frequency output=0
frequency output must changed by separate control voltage
this is possible?:(

king40

Joined Jul 17, 2013
If you connect your controlling voltage between pin 5 and ground in your first circuit, you'll get a little variation in the output frequency. Depending on how much variation your need over voltage. You'll want to keep the control voltage lower than VCC.
i do it
by default output frequency is 3.88khz and when i connect my controlling voltage if my voltage Between 1 volt to 5 volt
output frequency chaneged very low for example show 3.95khz or 3.90khz

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
i do it
by default output frequency is 3.88khz and when i connect my controlling voltage if my voltage Between 1 volt to 5 volt
I have designed and simulated several circuits. I'm still fine-tuning them. Be warned that they have a lot of parts (op amps, etc.).

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
i do it
It should change alot more than that. I've fooled around with this and got good variation in output frequency.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
this is posible to edit post#5 circuit to work by my point?
Its possible, but just using pin 5 would be easier. Post your failed attempt at using pin5 and I'll tell you what is wrong. I'll even check from my beach motel this weekend if you post.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Here are two VCOs that will output ≈0Hz to 1500Hz as the control voltage varies from 0V to 15V. The one with the MOSFETs requires 3 op amps, so I used a quad, with the 4th op amp used as a voltage follower for the triangle wave.
The one with BJTs only requires 2 op amps, so, if you don't need the triangle wave output, you can use a dual op amp (e.g., LT1366). However, the MOSFET version is a little more linear than the BJT version. Also, you must use matched NPNs, as shown in the schematic.
The simulated frequency vs control data is tabulated on the schematics. This simulation assumes that all resistor values are exact. Tolerance variations will cause (minor?) frequency and duty cycle errors. Capacitor tolerance will affect the frequency. Frequency is inversely proportional to capacitance.
The op amps need to be able to operate on 15V, and have rail-to-rail inputs.

You will need to add 10uF between pins 1 and 8 on the 555, and 100nF between the power pins on the op amp package(s).

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What you need to do is set the frequency to voltage chart. I'm the one that wrote the Hysteretic Oscillator article. 555s can work as a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator), but not very well. And 0 Hz is not a good option either, you need a real frequency (not DC).

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
What you need to do is set the frequency to voltage chart. I'm the one that wrote the Hysteretic Oscillator article. 555s can work as a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator), but not very well. And 0 Hz is not a good option either, you need a real frequency (not DC).
It works pretty well with the circuit I posted. Admittedly, it is a complex circuit.:rolleyes: