555 Astable Circuit on Thingiverse

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Sorry, I was changing the values of the resistors as i was tinkering, changing the voltage then changing the LED resistors appropriately. Alsh the cap and resistor to change the timing. I know my Tinkercad drawing doesn't match the design I was copying. After I moved the resistor as bertus pointed out, the circuit worked correctly.

I tried to build it on a breadboard but the LED just stays on. I think my 555 is bad.
Anyway thanks for all the help and interest. Just trying to learn.
Post pictures of the breadboard layout, you might have it wired wrong.

jspring111

Joined Oct 20, 2020
OK, I fiddled with it some more and now it's working. I did both astable and monostable. Changing the electrolytic cap to 10 uF and the resistor between pins 6 & 7 made it flash at the about 1 second interval I was looking for.

Not sure what was wrong, I think it was wired correctly but probably something loose on the breadboard.

I did discover a couple things:

Putting a voltmeter probe to pin 3 made it momentarily dim the LED on the monostable circuit then back on.
also,
Removing the jumper between pins 2 and 6 made the astable circuit act like the monostable circuit

I'd send pics of the breadboard but it's a mess. I have several other circuits on the board. It would cause more questions than it would answer. I need more breadboards!

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

jspring111

Joined Oct 20, 2020
It is an inexpensive Digital multimeter (Chinese no doubt) Astro AI DT132A.

Aaah, a test! OK I think pin 6 pulls the voltage on pin 2 down triggering the cycle?

But why does the voltage probe to the output pin trigger the cycle?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It is an inexpensive Digital multimeter (Chinese no doubt) Astro AI DT132A.
The input resistance of a DVM shouldn't be high enough to load the output of a bipolar 555.
Aaah, a test! OK I think pin 6 pulls the voltage on pin 2 down triggering the cycle?
From TI's datasheet:
1603395312888.png
Pins 2 and 6 are inputs, they can't pull anything down.
But why does the voltage probe to the output pin trigger the cycle?
It shouldn't.