500W+ mosfet cooling

coinmaster

Joined Dec 24, 2015

coinmaster

Joined Dec 24, 2015
Thanks for the link but it doesn't really answer my question. I need to know how to cool them to 500W+
That waterblock I linked seems to be the most viable solution but I don't know its capability because PC water coolers never list their specs.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You maybe didn't read it then cause there more to just cooling the top the whole PCB has to be made to cool the chip

Screenshot from 2018-04-01 23-08-12.png

You would need a PCB made to use the cooler on both sides take a lot of thinking there to make it work.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
PC water coolers never list their specs.
I think to a first approximation you can assume the heat sink is the same temperature as the water going through it so the primary thermal resistance is from the transistor junction to the heat sink (including any thermal isolation washers needed).
The question then becomes what is the water flow rate and initial water temperature, and then how much will your 500+ watts heat that water as it's flowing through.

Will the water be recirculating or a total loss system?
If it's recirculating then you need a radiator to dissipate the heat.

coinmaster

Joined Dec 24, 2015
You maybe didn't read it then cause there more to just cooling the top the whole PCB has to be made to cool the chip
I did read it. Double sided cooling was a suggestion, not a requirement. It doesn't tell me anything about the sort of cooling system I need to dissipate 500W either.
Double sided cooling won't be too difficult to apply, all I would have to do is sandwich two cooling blocks between the PCB and mount it vertically.
Will the water be recirculating or a total loss system?
If it's recirculating then you need a radiator to dissipate the heat.
Yeah I'm going for a custom pump system with a radiator. I just don't know how to find the specifics of my requirements. The mosfets have a heat transfer rating of 0.25c/W so that's about 20C per mosfet @ 80W each, not bad but what does that mean for my equipment needs when the water cooling system needs to extract 500W of heat? Ideally I'd love to go up to 1000w if it was practical.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
including any thermal isolation washers needed
I only seen these one time the board made to remove heat from the bottom and heat sink glued to the top
But a 9 fan cooler and top and bottom cooling would work good But the math is over my thinking these days LOL

You could chill the coolant to get even more cooling power.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The mosfets have a heat transfer rating of 0.25c/W so that's about 20C per mosfet @ 80W each
You need to include the thermal resistance of an electrical insulator for the MOSFETs unless you can tie all their sources together.
what does that mean for my equipment needs when the water cooling system needs to extract 500W of heat?
You need to do some thermal calculations.
Using the specific heat of water, 4.185.5 J/(g⋅K), you can determine the water flow for the temperature rise you can tolerate.

1 g of water is one ml, so to absorb 500w (500 J/s), one ml of water will increase in temperature 500/4.8155 ≈ 103.8°C per second.
Thus for an allowed increase of 25°C, the water flow would need to be 103.8/25 = 4.15ml/s or about 250ml/min.

Your water radiator would then have to remove 500W and cool the water by 25°C as it flowed through.
Assuming you want to keep the maximum water and MOSFET case temperature below 75°C, then the radiator would need to reduce the water temperature to 50°C with room ambient air at perhaps 25°C.