5.8GHz band pass filter for detector circuit.

Pader

Joined Jul 17, 2010
Hello folks, I have been toying with an idea for a tracking antenna for Radio Control aircraft.

What I had in mind was to use pairs of antennae (1 pair each for the vertical and horizontal axes) using the 5.8GHz FPV signals to control a gimbal to keep the 2.4GHz control antenna pointed at the aircraft at all times. Each pair of signals then to be taken to a microprocessor to compare signal strength and operate the respective stepper motors on the gimbal.
Snap 2016-10-28 at 23.11.19.png

I came across this circuit which I thought might do the trick but it occurs to me that the schottky diode pair are relatively broadband between 915MHz and 5.8GHz and I only actually need the extreme top of the range. I am afraid that I have a very limited knowledge of RF design theory, but I am concerned that by not placing some sort of band pass filter, I run the risk of unwanted signals in what is a fairly critical operation. Can anyone suggest a simple band pass filter circuit for the RF input?

I had in mind to use printed circuit double bi-quad antenna slightly diverging in each of the detector modes with an helical antenna for the 2.4GHz control side and I suspect that I will need to fit the Yagi antennae into some sort of wave guide to prevent too much overlap of signal. Help on that too would be much appreciated.