4026 cascaded counter

Rishabh Kiran

Joined Jan 29, 2024
Hi everyone, i have a 3 digit counter made with cascaded 4026 counter ics, the use case for this counter means that i need to be able to count twice, thrice, 4 times, 6 times with the single press of different switches. Is anyone able to provide insight as to how i could get 2, 3, 4 , 6 pulses to the clock from just one switch press, thanks in advance.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
It's hard to figure out what you want.

You want to use 4 switches...correct?

Did you want the display to count to 999 n number of times?

Do you want to change the frequency of the clock?

Do you want to divide the clock?

Rishabh Kiran

Joined Jan 29, 2024
HI Everyone, thanks so much for the replies. I dont have a schematic for my exact circuit, ive just been using the below, but adjusted for 3 4026s.
Welcome to AAC!
Post a schematic so we know what we're working with.
Is this schoolwork?
Yes this is school work. im doing a gcse in electronics with WJEC and as part of this 20 percent of my final grade is a NEA (non exam assesment) basically like a breadboard project on a problem you need to solve. My project is basically a cricket scoreboard and in cricket you can score 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 runs in one ball. so i wanted one of my subsytems to be an input subsytem where it allows you to add 2, 3, 4 or 6 to the count with different button presses.
It's hard to figure out what you want.

You want to use 4 switches...correct?

Did you want the display to count to 999 n number of times?

Do you want to change the frequency of the clock?

Do you want to divide the clock?
No i dont want to divide the clock, i want 5 seperate switches, each adding either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 respectively.
Do you want all those pulses occurring at the same time after one switch press?
If so, you could use four CD4017 counters and a few gates.
Could you explain how if you dont mind?

Thanks again everyone for the replies

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Could you explain how if you dont mind?
The CD4017 is a decade counter with 10 sequential outputs so, you can connect the desired output to turn a 555 astable clock on and off at the desired number of counts.

You could either use six counters or, to possibly reduce part count, one counter with the push-button selecting which output controls the 555.

Since this is homework, I can help you with that if you have questions about the circuit, but can't design it for you.
Connecting a push-button to start the sequence is fairly straight-forward.

Last edited:

Rishabh Kiran

Joined Jan 29, 2024
The CD4017 is a decade counter with 10 sequential outputs so, you can connect the desired output to turn a 555 astable clock on and off at the desired number of counts.

You could either use six counters or, to possibly reduce part count, one counter with the push-button selecting which output controls the 555.

Since this is homework, I can help you with that if you have questions about the circuit, but can't design it for you.
Connecting a push-button to start the sequence is fairly straight-forward.
Ah okay.
Since this is schoolwork, we can only provide guidance.

Show your attempt at implementing the variable incrementing.
My idea was to use a 555 astable circuit with a frequency of like 1 for example. then have 4 different monostable 555 circuits with like either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6s periods, to trigger the pulse generation of the 555 astable

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My idea was to use a 555 astable circuit with a frequency of like 1 for example. then have 4 different monostable 555 circuits with like either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6s periods, to trigger the pulse generation of the 555 astable
That could work, but would require a lot of discrete parts, and would likely require pots to tweak of the timing for the the different monostables to get the desired number of pulses.

You stated 4 monostables, but don't you need 5 since you have 5 periods?