4017 decade counter clock input

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
I need help with this ic cd4017..its clock input, i tried sending in a pulse signal manually with my hand as a switch but it doesn't respond, it only responds to pulses from electronic frequency generator like astable multivibrator..is that normal..why is that?..how does it know my hand is not an electronic frequency generator?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How did you wire the switch? Did you install the pull-up or pull-down resistor as required?

Even with the correct resistor installed you will get erratic operation of the counter. The switch must have debounce circuitry installed for the counter to increment correctly.

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
How did you wire the switch? Did you install the pull-up or pull-down resistor as required?

Even with the correct resistor installed you will get erratic operation of the counter. The switch must have debounce circuitry installed for the counter to increment correctly.
Their were no pull up or down resistor at the clock input...the switch is just like a toggle switch..open and closing the switch at a constant rate..nothing happens tho