400Hz AC motor speed control and running direction

Thanacity

Joined May 12, 2021
I am trying to figure out how to control some motors but am stuck. Anyone can help?

The unit that I am working on has 6 geared motors with tacho generators. Some of the motors are geared to resolvers for position feedback.

All these motors are 26V (rotor) and 16.5V (stator) 400Hz. The 26V windings are all connected in parallel. All 16.5V windings have one lead that are connected together. It is not possible to isolate each motor.

I need to slow down these motors individually. I have reduced the voltage to the point that the motor stalls but at that point the speed is still much too high. What can be done?

I also need to be able to reverse the running direction of each individual motor. I guess this can be done by using a capacitor to create a phase shift. Not sure though how to calculate the required capacitance.

It would be nice to get your advice. Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Post more info on the motors, plate info etc.
It should be possible to control individually if all are identical and powered in parallel at present.
So these are AC powered?
Need to know their technology?
What is the application?

Thanacity

Joined May 12, 2021
Post more info on the motors, plate info etc.
It should be possible to control individually if all are identical and powered in parallel at present.
So these are AC powered?
Need to know their technology?
What is the application?
Thanks for your help. See attached picture of AC motor and wiring schematic (total of 6 motors but only 3 drawn). Yes, all motors are identical. Application: 35mm film viewer that was used some 50 years ago

Attachments