4 pin Rectifier/Regulator DC V output problem

Markmadrona

Joined Aug 1, 2017
Hi good day. Maybe you could help me out here bro. These is the case.I have a 4pin Rectifier/Regulator for Honda CBR150. I have a problem about the regulating part, the voltage reading is quite changing rapidly depending on the Idle/RPM. i tested the battery(engine was off) it producing not less than or higher than 12.3v but from the moment i get the engine running the voltage reading is rapidly going up depending on the rpm it goes about more than 17.9v rpm is 7500 to 8000. I have installed a new Rectifier/Regulator but it didn't change. What do you think the problem was

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The battery may be sulphated and hence high resistance.
With the engine off, headlight and brake light on, what is the battery voltage?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Battery is technically dead. Recharge it and load test it with a carbon pile or capacitance tester to see if it is vood. If you dont have either of those methods, do the following:
Connect your voltmeter to the battery. Disable the bike so that it can crank but not start. Crank the bike over for 15 seconds while watching the meter. At the end of 15 seconds, while cranking, note the battery voltage. Stop cranking. If the battery voltage dropped below 9.6v, change the battery.
I think you will be doing this anyways.

Markmadrona

Joined Aug 1, 2017
I don't t think is the battery i installed it to other motorcycle and i check the voltage output and its almost constant to 14v. I even used another battery but still the voltage is too high ranging from 16v to 17. 8v.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi good day. Maybe you could help me out here bro. These is the case.I have a 4pin Rectifier/Regulator for Honda CBR150. I have a problem about the regulating part, the voltage reading is quite changing rapidly depending on the Idle/RPM. i tested the battery(engine was off) it producing not less than or higher than 12.3v but from the moment i get the engine running the voltage reading is rapidly going up depending on the rpm it goes about more than 17.9v rpm is 7500 to 8000. I have installed a new Rectifier/Regulator but it didn't change. What do you think the problem was
There are various types - most later types have 3-ph alternator stator. The rectifier and regulator are one and the same thing - a 3 input bridge rectifier made of 3 diodes and 3 SCRs. It basically shorts out the alternator at full voltage.

There should be a wire to the ign line (black on Hondas IIRC). If you disconnect that - the rectifier is just a rectifier. You should be able to overcharge the battery - but the voltage shouldn't be wandering about all over the place.

If a replacement module gets too spendy - you might get away with a 15V 100W Zener. The one's used on old British motorcycles are for positive earth, so need a bit more mounting kit.

Markmadrona

Joined Aug 1, 2017
So there's nothing
There are various types - most later types have 3-ph alternator stator. The rectifier and regulator are one and the same thing - a 3 input bridge rectifier made of 3 diodes and 3 SCRs. It basically shorts out the alternator at full voltage.

There should be a wire to the ign line (black on Hondas IIRC). If you disconnect that - the rectifier is just a rectifier. You should be able to overcharge the battery - but the voltage shouldn't be wandering about all over the place.

If a replacement module gets too spendy - you might get away with a 15V 100W Zener. The one's used on old British motorcycles are for positive earth, so need a bit more mounting kit.
So there's nothing Wrong with either the stator or the R/R i installed.. I think the regulator is not doing its job.it should have feed a constant voltage to the battery.