4 kW DC excited synchronous motor

luc28

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Hi,

for a project at my university, I am currently searching for an electric motor with the following specifications:
  • synchronous 3-phase motor
  • power of around 4 kW
  • DC-excited (important!!)
We actually want to use it as a generator.
During the whole last week, I already searched a lot of sites and a lot of manufacturers, but I was unable to find any motor meeting all the requirements. Either they are permanent-excited models or they have a larger power rating.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, to a manufacturer or supplier maybe?

Thanks,

Luc

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The old wound rotor motors fitted to gantry cranes etc have usually now been replaced by later technology.
The Very old 3 phase motors that were ran up as induction motors and then had DC injected to the rotor when the slip was within a few cycles to make them synchronous were mostly around the 100HP!.
At least what I was used to.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi,

for a project at my university, I am currently searching for an electric motor with the following specifications:
  • synchronous 3-phase motor
  • power of around 4 kW
  • DC-excited (important!!)
We actually want to use it as a generator.
During the whole last week, I already searched a lot of sites and a lot of manufacturers, but I was unable to find any motor meeting all the requirements. Either they are permanent-excited models or they have a larger power rating.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, to a manufacturer or supplier maybe?

Thanks,

Luc
You will probably be more successful searching in the category of generators, since that kind of motor became obsolete as permanent magnets became much stronger. Sp probably nobody has produced such a product for many years. One type that fits the description but not the power level is called a selsyn motor, where the rotors are driven from an ac source and the stator phases are all connected in phase.