3phase voltage in measurement circuit without neutral and display the voltage in LCD using microcon

grdilip4

Joined Apr 4, 2017
I'm developing one 3phase star delta starter in that starter I have to measure the 3phase voltage and display it in LCD so I need a circuit to measure 3phase voltage which can be interfaced with microcontroller,so I can measure the voltage and displays it,so I need a circuit and I will do coding according to that

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then presumably you need to measure both the delta condition between phases and the phase voltages to N or star, or between each star connected phase?
It could be done with matching instrument transformers but you may have a problem finding the right primary rating for a low secondary voltage required to interface to a micro.
You could also set up precision resistor divider on each phase with a low voltage tap to record the voltage ratio.
http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4344950/Optocoupler-simplifies-power-line-monitoring
Max.

grdilip4

Joined Apr 4, 2017
Then presumably you need to measure both the delta condition between phases and the phase voltages to N or star, or between each star connected phase?
It could be done with matching instrument transformers but you may have a problem finding the right primary rating for a low secondary voltage required to interface to a micro.
You could also set up precision resistor divider on each phase with a low voltage tap to record the voltage ratio.
http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4344950/Optocoupler-simplifies-power-line-monitoring
Max.
Thank you sir..but I need measure voltage between each star connected phase

grdilip4

Joined Apr 4, 2017
I need some more help..I have to measure 3phase voltage and I have give it to microcontroller and display it in lcd

spar59

Joined Aug 4, 2007
Do you really need to measure all three phases and display an average or can you just measure a single phase as being accurate enough and assume the other phases are identical or nearly so as they would be in most supply systems. This would make the problem much easier, a ready made commercial panel mounted voltmeter with suitable input rating connected across a pair of phases or a single phase transformer connected across a pair of phases with a low voltage output for measuring via a microcontroller. You could obviously repeat this single phase approach for all three phases if individual phases need to be simultaneously displayed.

However if you really need to measure all three phases and display an average value within a custom display you are probably going to have to go down the microcontroller route since as you will be aware if you try and use three transformers and connect their outputs in series in the hope of getting a summation the output will be zero (or therabouts) due to the vectorial summation of a (balanced) three phase network being nil. If using a microcontroller approach you could even measure the phase to neutral voltage, thus allowing the use of resistive dividers to a common neutral point, and derive the phase to phase values by mathematical manipulation.

grdilip4

Joined Apr 4, 2017
Do you really need to measure all three phases and display an average or can you just measure a single phase as being accurate enough and assume the other phases are identical or nearly so as they would be in most supply systems. This would make the problem much easier, a ready made commercial panel mounted voltmeter with suitable input rating connected across a pair of phases or a single phase transformer connected across a pair of phases with a low voltage output for measuring via a microcontroller. You could obviously repeat this single phase approach for all three phases if individual phases need to be simultaneously displayed.

However if you really need to measure all three phases and display an average value within a custom display you are probably going to have to go down the microcontroller route since as you will be aware if you try and use three transformers and connect their outputs in series in the hope of getting a summation the output will be zero (or therabouts) due to the vectorial summation of a (balanced) three phase network being nil. If using a microcontroller approach you could even measure the phase to neutral voltage, thus allowing the use of resistive dividers to a common neutral point, and derive the phase to phase values by mathematical manipulation.