3D printing forum?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One might suggest an LED forum too.

I would rather not add more clutter to our currently cluttered pages. Maybe just move to "Automation and Robotics."

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This forum is "All About Circuits." It's not for All About Auto Repairs, All About Politics, etc. True, there is a lot of interest in 3D printers, but there are also dedicated forums to such endeavors. I have no problem with discussions here in current appropriate subforums.

BUT, forums such as AAC are not archival. Specialized forums exist. 3D printing, like automotive transmission trouble shooting are not inherently within the scope of electronics. As I and others have said, the new format is still too full of garbage and empty space. It is better than the first embodiment, but still bad. One example is the minimum space required for the poster's icon/logo. Your one line post takes 1/4 of my screen.
1589406359005.png

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
This forum is "All About Circuits." It's not for All About Auto Repairs, All About Politics, etc. True, there is a lot of interest in 3D printers, but there are also dedicated forums to such endeavors.
That's a fair point but at least some of what goes into making things with electronics is the packaging and 3D printing is becoming the tool of choice for many projects. A place to share ideas and solutions in our electronic endeavors using 3DP would be a natural here, I think. I decided to take the plunge based on reading members' posts and seeing pictures of their results. While AAC may not be the best place to get advice on how to auto-level a hotbase on a specific printer model, members here sharing their experiences, advice and sample work would be most welcome and more and more relevant to current art. We do the same with PCBs, metal work and other topics when they apply to the electronics area.

That said, category creep is always a potential problem. Maybe changing the PCB and EDA sub-forum to PCB, EDA and Mechanical would suffice.

Sorry I can't offer much help on how one line posts with 80x80 avatars render. Seems big to me too.

Thanks for the comments.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
John's point is also exactly mine. 3d printing has become a most useful tool for peripherals and auxiliary items in my electronics projects.

And besides, this place is where my friends are! If any of us has any questions on this subject I'll bet you a case of sam adams that we'll all reciprocate and do our best to help each other out... no need to go requesting help from strangers in a strange site...

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
And besides, this place is where my friends are! If any of us has any questions on this subject I'll bet you a case of sam adams that we'll all reciprocate and do our best to help each other out... no need to go requesting help from strangers in a strange site...
Well said.
Do you think adding 3D printing to the PCB/EDA forum would be sufficient? Somewhere else?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
To be clear, I am definitely not against discussing 3D printing here or other mechanical aspects of putting a project together. I often take part in those discussions myself. That includes CNC, making panels, knobs, stencil printing, etc.

The PCB/EDA forum might be a good place. Another site calls that section, "Manufacturing and Assembly." The description could be expanded to include 3D printing, CNC, laser cutting, enclosures, front panels, etc. Since we have a robotics section already, one might need to distinguish between between mechanical aspects of an electronics project and an electronics project that is mechanical/robotic.

In other words, if someone's project is a CNC machine per se, should that be in the robotics section or PCB/EDA/Assembly/Construction/whatever? To me that would fit better in Robotics, but if they are using CNC/3D printing to make a part, panel, etc., then it would go in the latter area.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
It would also help with anyone who just purchased one. From what I get of it there is a learning curve (?) Then you have the different materials, nozzles, squish, braces/supports, down to what you use to keep it from sticking to the bed. Do people prefer the bed that comes with it or glass. So many questions could be addressed with this addition to the forum.
Brzrkr