3d design software

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I use Fusion 360, free for non-commercial use. There us a lot I do not like about it, but it gets the job done.

I tried sketch-up, which is a joke, and blender, which was I found totally non-intuitive.

Bob

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I use Fusion 360, free for non-commercial use. There us a lot I do not like about it, but it gets the job done.

I tried sketch-up, which is a joke, and blender, which was I found totally non-intuitive.

Bob
At work I use Audodesk Inventor which is like the big expensive brother of Fusion360. I don't think sketchup is a joke; I often use it to "mock up" ideas before committing to thoroughly designing them in Inventor because I can model so much faster in sketchup than Inventor. Before gaining access to Inventor I used Sketchup and Blender for everything, so I was doing a good deal more than "mocking up" in sketchup and it worked fine for that purpose but it is not revision-friendly and sometimes a "minor" change requires a lot of work.

On Blender, I agree. It's not intuitive. Also it does not use engineering units, so pretty useless as a design software, but its 3D rendering and animation capabilities are pretty awesome.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Our uses of sketch-up were quite different, which might account for our different evaluation. I was using it fir 3D printing, and it had a tendency to not close the solids which caused failures whe producing the output.

Bob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Our uses of sketch-up were quite different, which might account for our different evaluation. I was using it fir 3D printing, and it had a tendency to not close the solids which caused failures whe producing the output.

Bob
I had similar issues with SketchUP, however all of them were caused by an error in the drawing. Shapeways had tools which identified such issues and I always was able to correct them in SketchUP

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes, they were my errors, but I found it hard to put together a model that was correct. Never had this issue with Fusion, which has a fundamentally different approach to building the model.

I didn’t use Sketch-up for long, so maybe I was completely misunderstanding something.

Bob