30W DC-DC Isolated Flyback Converter

FlatSkills

Joined Jan 30, 2021
Hi everyone,

I want to improve myself on Power Electronics. I am a 4th grade student in Electronics Engineering and I am doing a senior project at university.

Project Requirements:
Input Voltage: 9-36V
Output Voltage: 5V @6A
Topology: Isolated Flyback
Efficiency : over 90%

I have basic knowledge about the power stage of flyback and I am looking for sources of information to make my project. Also, I am considering DCM for the project. What should I do about the information source and the roadmap of my project? I will be grateful if you could help me. I wish you healthy days.

Sincerely yours,

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

I want to improve myself on Power Electronics. I am a 4th grade student in Electronics Engineering and I am doing a senior project at university.

Project Requirements:
Input Voltage: 9-36V
Output Voltage: 5V @6A
Topology: Isolated Flyback
Efficiency : over 90%

I have basic knowledge about the power stage of flyback and I am looking for sources of information to make my project. Also, I am considering DCM for the project. What should I do about the information source and the roadmap of my project? I will be grateful if you could help me. I wish you healthy days.

Sincerely yours,
In this section you are supposed to show your beet attempt first before getting any "help" because that's the policy here.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
DCM might give you some help when trying to make that 95% efficiency goal. It is going to be difficult on a 5V output unless you resort to some trickery.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Yes, your are right, I was making it harder than necessary.

I am starting to think that CCM is likely to be more efficient in a flyback converter because I squared R losses will be higher in DCM. With DCM you have the same number of amps to pump the cap back up but less time in which to do it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Yes, your are right, I was making it harder than necessary.

I am starting to think that CCM is likely to be more efficient in a flyback converter because I squared R losses will be higher in DCM. With DCM you have the same number of amps to pump the cap back up but less time in which to do it.
No problem, 90 percent isnt that easy to get either.
Yeah i am pretty sure that DCM vs CCM efficiency issue is a known fact.