3 speed AC fan with SP3T switch how to wire relays

toby250

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone
I have a 3 speed fan that's controlled by a 3 way switch i want to remove this switch or leave it but also use 3 separate switches/sensors/timers, as you can see from my bad drawing if i wire it like that and have the 3 switches or tigers on at once it'll try turn on all 3 speeds together,so i need to wire relays in so when one speed is selected the other 2 cant be, everything is 230vac, thanks in advance for any help.sp3t switch mod (640x447).jpg

toby250

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone
I have a 3 speed fan that's controlled by a 3 way switch i want to remove this switch or leave it but also use 3 separate switches/sensors/timers, as you can see from my bad drawing if i wire it like that and have the 3 switches or tigers on at once it'll try turn on all 3 speeds together,so i need to wire relays in so when one speed is selected the other 2 cant be, everything is 230vac, thanks in advance for any help.View attachment 189357
Was just thinking 3 would have to have priority over 2 and 1 and 2 would have to have priority over 1, dunno if that’s even possible with just relays any help on this would be great thanks

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Toby,
I think you can achieve what you want using three SPDT relays connected as shown below.
211019.jpg
If relay 3 is energised then SL cannot be connected to speed 2 or speed 1 as the path is broken by the NC contact on relay 3. If relay 2 is energised then SL cannot be connected to speed 1 as the path is broken by the NC contact on relay 2.
The relays would be driven from the original 3 way switch and the contacts on the sensors as shown in your diagram

Les.

toby250

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Hi Toby,
I think you can achieve what you want using three SPDT relays connected as shown below.
View attachment 189381
If relay 3 is energised then SL cannot be connected to speed 2 or speed 1 as the path is broken by the NC contact on relay 3. If relay 2 is energised then SL cannot be connected to speed 1 as the path is broken by the NC contact on relay 2.
The relays would be driven from the original 3 way switch and the contacts on the sensors as shown in your diagram

Les.
Hi Les
Thanks for taking the time to help me out, looks like that will work perfectly, when you see it on paper makes sense I just couldn’t get my head around it, you're a genius thank you so much...