2phase welder

Matt Trevatt

Joined May 14, 2008
I am in East Timor helping out at a school. We have 3 phase and single phase. We have 5 welders that can be wired to single or 2 phase. Inside the welder is 3 posistions for links. Currently they are set 2 two phase so the 2 outsides sets of post have links. To set to higher voltage I have to wire just the middle posts. There are no instructions,..... :mad: Would I double up the links - they apear to be fusible links. or just wire with 1 link.

Also the color coding is for single phase. I am assuming I wire l1 and l2 to active and neutral and wire the earth to earth

Sound correct?

Matt Trevatt

Joined May 14, 2008
Sorry, just reread my post. I ment to say the machines I have wired up to our single phase system but I want to run on our 3 phase due to its extra current handling ability. Saying that I just realised I can wire up the three phase plug to just be single. Just use L1 and N and ground. My concern is that some smart guy is going to open up the unit and see that its wired as single and then change the links for L1 and L2 and I would have no idea how that would effect the unit.

If I wire for L1 and L2 I am assumimg the unit is capable of higher current?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm not an electrician.
You really need an answer from someone who IS an electrician.
But you could help with more background information, like:
1) Your single phase power - is that 230v, 50 Hz?
2) Your 3-phase power:
2a) Is it L1, L2, L3 with or without a neutral?
2b) If there is a neutral, what are the voltages between each phase and neutral?
2c) What is the voltage between each phase?
3) The welding units - do you have a manufacturer's name and model number?

Matt Trevatt

Joined May 14, 2008
Our power is 220V 50v
3 phase with neutral.
The welder is an indonesian brand with no info on the web.
Answers 2 voltages I dont know, I have just returned to Indonesia.
They may have to stay as single phase.