2N3904 vs 2N3906 Rise and Fall times

Looking at the data sheets for the 2N3904 and 3906 transistors.

What does "Delay" "Rise" "Storage" and "Fall" times mean? Aside from the obvious - they have to do with timing. Most curious about "Storage". (see below for my issue)

_3904 ________________ 3906_
-35 nS ---- Delay --- 35 nS
-35 nS ---- Rise ---- 35 nS
200 nS -- Storage - 225 nS
-50 nS ---- Fall ----- 75 nS

This circuit (in part) (below) is operating at 12 volts. R2 is a square wave input (high/low). 3906 is getting warm. After a minute of operation,

What does "Delay" "Rise" "Storage" and "Fall" times mean? Aside from the obvious - they have to do with timing. Most curious about "Storage". (see below for my issue)

This circuit (in part) (below) is operating at 12 volts. R2 is a square wave input (high / low). The 3906 is getting warm. After a minute of operation I'm measuring a case temperature of 99˚F. This is concerning! The red line is 12 VDC (no resistance) and the black line out of the bottom of the 3906 goes direct to ground. This should only be charging and discharging an IGBT Gate.

The IGBT gate capacitance is:
Cies --- Input Capacitance --------------- 5770 -- pF VGE = 0V /// VCC = 30V
Coes -- Output Capacitance ------------- 400 --- pF
Cres -- Reverse Transfer Capacitance ---- 100 --- pF

View attachment 197363Cut and pasted from a larger diagram. Available if necessary - but many have already seen it.
I'm measuring a case temperature of 99˚F. This is concerning! The red line is 12 VDC (no resistance) and the black line out of the bottom of the 3906 goes directly to ground. This should only be charging and discharging an IGBT Gate.

View attachment 197363Cut and pasted from a larger diagram. Available if necessary - but many have already seen it.

This circuit (in part) (below) is operating at 12 volts. R2 is a square wave input (high / low). The 3906 is getting warm. After a minute of operation I'm measuring a case temperature of 99˚F. This is concerning! The red line is 12 VDC (no resistance) and the black line out of the bottom of the 3906 goes direct to ground. This should only be charging and discharging an IGBT Gate.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@yaqoob gillnani That's a diagram I drew a while ago. Why are you posting it? It isn't answering any questions for me.

I don't know if I'm taking it wrong, but it seems like you're trying to throw something in my face. Feels like I may be a stalking victim. Please clarify. Otherwise the moderators may be called to look into this.

I would like to be helpful. Sometimes the only help needed is to ask a question to get someone to think in a different way. Now, I'm certainly not the most experienced guy or girl here (I'm a guy by the way). But I do want to offer something of benefit when I can. I'm not here to start trouble or wind people up. So it's my fondest hope that you're not winding me up.

Thanks. Take care.