24vdc & 12vdc Common Ground

seanfox

Joined Mar 21, 2016
So I believe I know the answer however I wanted to get this forums opinion. I have limited space between parts to run wires in my design so I am wanting to eliminate the ground wire were I can. The question is, can I combine all battery ground circuits together to the chassis?

My robot design is mobile and is mostly made up of metal. I believe I can without problem, I just need to make sure that the negative side were there maybe a wire that needs to be used to ensure a good connection between parts is large enough to carry the necessary current of both circuits.

What I am unsure of is charging. There will likely be 3 chargers used. One 6v charger connected to each of the 6v battery banks(this will help with charge duration) and 1 charger for the 24v bank. All electronics will be disconnected during charging. Does anyone see the need to isolate the grounds during charging or can I run a positive from each charger to each bank and leave all the grounds tied together?

BTW these are SLA batteries that will use a battery balancer for the 24v side (not in the drawing yet). Ignore the fuse sizes, they are not accurate.

upload_2016-10-22_15-21-47.png

Thanks