240w Power Supply at 93.5% efficiency = 256w or 271w at wall?

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
I have a Meanwell HLG-240H-C2100B power supply (119v, 2.1a, CC, powered by 240v AC)
powering 3 Bridgelux Vero29 LEDin series. The output from the PS reads 115v, 2.1a = 241.5w.

Shouldn't the AC Watts "in" measure 258w? (241.5/.935=258)
I get a reading of 271w in - which suggests an efficiency of 89% not 93.5%.

Should I be checking the test equipment or is this difference to be expected?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
93.5% is "typical" and based on a specific load.. Did you read the charts in the datasheet?
Specifically the "Efficiency vs load" chart on page 7

Not sure what you are using to measure output/input wattage either.. Could be accuracy issues there too,etc...

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
If I read it correctly, 100% load is 250w at 93.5% efficiency. Since this load is 241.5w, which is close to full load (96.6%).
According to the chart, efficiency shouldn't drop below 90% until load is below 35%. As far as "typical", I have checked 6 of these and they yield similar results +-2%.

I think you confirmed that I need to check the accuracy of the meters.
Thank you!

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I think you confirmed that I need to check the accuracy of the meters.
Does this mean that you are using two meters -- a volt meter and a current meter?
If so, you are also measuring the power factor since the voltrage and current are not going to be perfectly in phase. Even a power factor corrected power supply is going to have a less than 100% power factor.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The tolerance for an efficiency spec rarely is stated, and typically is 5-10%. Also, peak efficiency might be achievable only with a resistive load.

ak

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
Does this mean that you are using two meters -- a volt meter and a current meter?
If so, you are also measuring the power factor since the voltrage and current are not going to be perfectly in phase. Even a power factor corrected power supply is going to have a less than 100% power factor.
A Fluke79 measures the dc output voltage and current. A separate in-line meter measures the AC input voltage and current. (Bayite AC 80-260V 20A).

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The data I found on the Bayite meter didn't say whether it was measuring true RMS or not. However it did say " This module is only suitable for pure AC 50-60HZ the mains." which rather suggests it isn't <surprised>

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
The data I found on the Bayite meter didn't say whether it was measuring true RMS or not. However it did say " This module is only suitable for pure AC 50-60HZ the mains." which rather suggests it isn't <surprised>
I am not the sharpest tool in the outlet. I "thought" that my municipal power didn't need true rms to be measured correctly...
Is that not so?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I am not the sharpest tool in the outlet. I "thought" that my municipal power didn't need true rms to be measured correctly...
Is that not so?
The voltage should be OK, but the current (input to SMPS) is unlikely to be pure sine.
[EDIT] What are the voltage and current readings from The Bayite?

Last edited:

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
The voltage should be OK, but the current (input to SMPS) is unlikely to be pure sine.
[EDIT] What are the voltage and current readings from The Bayite?

Bayite numbers for 3 Power Supplies
247v - 3.39a - 811.9w

3 Power supplies output
#1 114v 2.077a = 236.77w
#2 113.5v 2.097a = 238w
#3 115v 2.1a = 241.5w
716.27w total

EdHo

Joined Jun 10, 2016
So do I need a true RMS meter for the AC going into the Constant Current power supply, the DC out, neither or both?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So do I need a true RMS meter for the AC going into the Constant Current power supply, the DC out, neither or both?
For the AC power you need a real power meter that compensates for the effect of the power factor, such as a the Kill A Watt meter.
Measuring the voltage and current separately, even with an RMS volt/amp meter and calculating the VA product, will give you the apparent power, not real power.

For DC power any DC meter will work since they all measure real (RMS) power.