24 Volt DC transformer to 24 Volt AC transformer Mod possible?

luchura

Joined Oct 25, 2019
I was looking for a 24 Volt AC transformer 1 AMP, and by mistake I got the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP. So here is my question.
I have opened the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP, and there are components like diodes and capacitors to make it a DC transformer. Can I just remove the circuit ( diodes, capacitors ) and use it as a 24 Volt AC transformer ?. if Yes, will the 1 AMP be the same if I use as a AC transformer?.
Thank you,
-Luis

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There is no such thing as a DC transformer. All the transformers that ever were, besides all the ones that weren't are AC transformers. You might instead be talking about an AC to DC power supply. If you want to use the transformer and throw the rest of the components away -- be my guest. The transformer may not produce the AC voltage you are expecting; it literally could be anything greater than about 18VAC.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would only add that what you have may not be a conventional linear power supply giving you 24 VDC. You may well have a 24 VDC SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply). If you could post a picture of the guts we may be able to tell you what you actually have. There has been a large transition from linear to SMPS type power supplies in recent years.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have opened the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP, and there are components like diodes and capacitors to make it a DC transformer. Can I just remove the circuit ( diodes, capacitors ) and use it as a 24 Volt AC transformer ?
Does it have a transformer?

A better option would have been to return it and get what you needed.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The transformer inside the 24VDC power supply is probably 18VAC which is much less than the 24VAC that you need.
The peak voltage of an 18VAC transformer is 18 x 1.414= 25.5V which is reduced 1.5V by a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) then a huge capacitor at its output charges to the resulting 24VDC.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I was looking for a 24 Volt AC transformer 1 AMP, and by mistake I got the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP.
We are not likely using the same definition(s) for the word "transformer". I think what you have is one of these.
1572064721320.png
They come in AC or DC types.
Please send of picture of what you have and what the insides look like.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have a few 24VAC transformers from water softeners. I'd have to look to see what their amperage is, but can't beat the price.

A 24 VAC transformer consists of a transformer.
A 24VDC transformer consists of an 18 VAC transformer and a rectifier (or bridge rectifier) and capacitor.
A 24VDC power supply consists of a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) and you're not going to modify that one. They're tons more complicated than a simple rectifier and capacitor.