9 volt AC transformer load question.

CAB55

Joined Nov 24, 2020
I will have a control module circuit board that requires a 9 volt transformer. This will control a spot welder‘s current and contact time. I also wish to add a small
1 1/2” brushless 5 volt DC 0.25A fan that will be running all the time. I plan to build a separate circuit to convert a 9 volt AC transformer to the 5 volt DC needed for the fan. Can I use the same transformer to power both boards?

Thanks, CAB 55

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can I use the same transformer to power both boards?
Sure, as long as it can handle the combined current of the loads. You'll just need a rectifier and a 5V regulator.

I'm expecting someone to tell us you could get by with a single diode and no regulator. The pulsing DC would exceed 5V, but the time-averaged voltage would probably be OK for the fan.

CAB55

Joined Nov 24, 2020
Sure, as long as it can handle the combined current of the loads. You'll just need a rectifier and a 5V regulator.

I'm expecting someone to tell us you could get by with a single diode and no regulator. The pulsing DC would exceed 5V, but the time-averaged voltage would probably be OK for the fan.
Thanks very much Weyneh!

CAB55

Joined Nov 24, 2020
You can get fans that run off 120 or 240, I have them in mine.
Thanks Wolframore. I’m hoping the small fan, already part of the box I’m using for my housing, will be sufficient otherwise I will need to add an external 110volt fan.