24 Volt Battery Charger

CALLED1

Joined Sep 27, 2011
I have several 110 volt AC powered 24 volt battery chargers that quit working within weeks of each other. I have traced 110 power right up to what I think is a coil or relay (pen point in picture). If I join the two wires together (a black and a blue), the charger works without the auto-charge feature. I've concluded that this component is faulty. Does anyone know where I can get this part? ( The charger comes out of an electric pallet jack and the dealer wants the best part of $400 to replace the whole charger).
2nd question, what would cause this part to fail?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Attachments

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Can you get some clearer photos of the part and also the rest of the board?
I can't quite make out the numbers on the part. Use your camera's macro mode (usually a flower icon) to get focused close-up shots.

Post clear pics of the component and pics of the top and bottom of the circuit board. Maybe we can help then.

CALLED1

Joined Sep 27, 2011
Okay, I got some really good photos, except they are too big to upload. Will try again tomorrow with another camera.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007

CALLED1

Joined Sep 27, 2011
I knew of my weakness in electrical circuits, just discovered I lack understanding in digital image re sizing also. That's for another day.
In my quest to figure out these 24 volt chargers, I found that if the batteries are flat, less than 10 volts combined ( 4 six volt batteries in the set) the charger doesn't work. However if I plug the same charger into a bank that has more than 10 volts, it works fine. Any ideas as to what components in a circuit need to be excited in order for the charger to function? Coil maybe? I have replaced these chargers, this is now a quest to satisfy my own curiosity. Man made it, a man should be able to fix it... Again thanks, appreciate your insight.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Let me clarify: So you have a set of four 6V batteries that when connected in series, are not equal to or greater than 10V? Then more than likely you have 2 - 3, if not all bad batteries. If any one battery measure less than 4.5V - 5V they are probably not worth trying to bring back from the dead.

So it appears that the charger is working properly then, with good batteries Yes?

The 10V limit is meant for safety purposes so that you do not attempt to charge a bad battery and cause overheating from cell shorts etc... I would not try to over-ride this protection.

As far as how it functions, well, you'll have to wait for the smarty-pants to read this and post their comments. I am not keen to the circuit details that govern the function you want to understand, though I too would be interested in hearing how it works.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
iONic is completely right. You have a bad battery and the charger sounds like it's doing the Right Thing, although it would be nice if it provided you and indication as to why charge is not taking place (woudl a “bad battery” LED be too much to ask, oh battery charger product designer?).