2022 Ig Nobel Prize results

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://improbable.com/ig/winners/

Medicine Prize ... discovered that people taking the cancer drug melphalan reported that a common side effect of the treatment—irritation in the mouth known as oral mucositis—could be prevented if the patients slowly ate ice cream or popsicles during their melphalan infusions.
Applied Cardiology “for seeking and finding evidence that when new romantic partners meet for the first time, and feel attracted to each other, their heart rates synchronize”
Biology Prize for their study of how constipation affects the scorpions’ ability to mate
Physics Prize for “trying to understand how ducklings manage to swim in formation.”
Safety Engineering Prize. ... The thesis, naturally titled Moose Crash Test Dummy, has made quite an impact
Literature Prize “for analyzing what makes legal documents unnecessarily difficult to understand”
Peace Prize. “for developing an algorithm to help gossipers decide when to tell the truth and when to lie”
Art History Prize for “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Ritual Enema Scenes on Ancient Maya Pottery”

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The safety engineering prize seems something worthwhile to me.

Sweden has a mandatory moose-avoidance swerve test as part of the type approval for vehicles on their roads. I recall the Mercedes A class failing this test (rolling over as a result), which required a redesign of the vehicle.

The crash test (moose) dummy clearly simulates a direct hit with a moose, where the animal likely ends up on the roof of the vehicle, potentially crushing the occupants.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The safety engineering prize seems something worthwhile to me.

Sweden has a mandatory moose-avoidance swerve test as part of the type approval for vehicles on their roads. I recall the Mercedes A class failing this test (rolling over as a result), which required a redesign of the vehicle.

The crash test (moose) dummy clearly simulates a direct hit with a moose, where the animal likely ends up on the roof of the vehicle, potentially crushing the occupants.

Citroën Xantia Reigns As The Moose Test Champion Since 1999

Last edited: