20 amp power supply question

yourownfree

Joined Jul 16, 2008
I am building a power supply. The question I have is what is the difference of using a pass transistor's base, hooking it up at the input of say a 15 volt regulator vs the base of the pass transistor hooked to the output of the regulator. I have seen both ways, have tried both ways but I don't know which way is preferred, or better. My test show you get more output when the output of the regulator is connected to the base of the pass transistor. when I mean more output, I mean more current at the output.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The usual way is to have a series resistor on the input of the 15Vreg.
The current flowing thru the resistor and Vreg, causes a voltage drop across the resistor.

The pass transistor is a PNP type, Emitter to the 'high' side of the resistor and Base to the Vreg input, Collector to the Vreg output.

The voltage across the resistor controls the pass transistor current.
If you need a diagram, ask.

Could you post a diagram showing your two methods of connecting the pass transistor.?
E

yourownfree

Joined Jul 16, 2008
what I have done is use a 12 volt regulator with three rectifiers in series coming off the ground/common leg of the regulator. I have a resistor on the input of the regulator and the output goes directly into the base of the pass transistors. I have succeeded in gaining 4 more amps over using a 7805 ic in the same configuration. My total output now from 14 volts drops to 12 volts at 16.3 amps. This is a modified Kenwood PS-30 power supply. My next step is to finish the over voltage circuit. Kenwood doesnt have one for this supply. What happens is the pass transistors will short giving the full 22 volts to the load, killing the radio attached. My circuit will shut it down at 16 volts. I have removed the original regulator circuit and replaced it with mine. The regulator is a radio shack 7812c. The rectifiers are 1n4007's. I will be adding some voltage adjustable control to vary the voltage slightly and to allow the user to set the high max limit of the over voltage. It will be on the front panel as taking off the top lid is just nuts to make adjustments. As you can see the front panel has been fitted with a readout of voltage and amps and it works fine. So far so good on this one. The rear of the unit has been fitted with new pass transistors using artic silver heat compound. Also the heat sink has been fitted with a fan the same size as the heatsink. I have to get to work now so maybe after work I will have time to show you the diagram of what I have so far. I will show you the two different approach's I originally was wondering about. I did see the theory behind the series resistor and again I saw the theory behind using just a zener and a resistor which uses up too much power, vs using a transistor to drive the base, where you calculate the gain of the pass transistor to get the value of drive current needed to run it to saturation. when I tried then series resistor type circuit where the base was hooked to the input of the regulator I couldn't get the current I needed. Seems to be a little more on the conservative side.Just an opinion, but I never had time to tweek on the resistors much. I can see a voltage drop drop across it(series resistor) and possibly better regulation, but for what I need a couple of volts drop at the output will be ok. It drops 2 volts(from 14 volts) at 16.3 amps. That is all the unit will do. I tried 20 volts and drops to 12 same as before. It was just an experiment. It dropped 8 volts. The result is 12 volts 16 amps is the magical number it likes, so I will run it at 13.8-14 volts, when and if it reaches the full load capacity it will have some room to drop.

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What was posted:

what I have done is use a 12 volt regulator with three rectifiers in series coming off the ground/common leg of the regulator. I have a resistor on the input of the regulator and the output goes directly into the base of the pass transistors. I have succeeded in gaining 4 more amps over using a 7805 ic in the same configuration. My total output now from 14 volts drops to 12 volts at 16.3 amps. This is a modified Kenwood PS-30 power supply. My next step is to finish the over voltage circuit. Kenwood doesnt have one for this supply. What happens is the pass transistors will short giving the full 22 volts to the load, killing the radio attached. My circuit will shut it down at 16 volts. I have removed the original regulator circuit and replaced it with mine. The regulator is a radio shack 7812c. The rectifiers are 1n4007's. I will be adding some voltage adjustable control to vary the voltage slightly and to allow the user to set the high max limit of the over voltage. It will be on the front panel as taking off the top lid is just nuts to make adjustments. As you can see the front panel has been fitted with a readout of voltage and amps and it works fine. So far so good on this one. The rear of the unit has been fitted with new pass transistors using artic silver heat compound. Also the heat sink has been fitted with a fan the same size as the heatsink. I have to get to work now so maybe after work I will have time to show you the diagram of what I have so far. I will show you the two different etc...etc...etc....
What I saw:

Awv9 vhd hdkv v5nk hkv bddn f5vvdd w5vh k fkn vhd vkmd v5zd kv vhd hdkvv5nk. M hkvd v9 gdv v9 w9qk n9w v9 mkybd kfvdq w9qk M w5ww hkvd v5md v9 vh9w y9u vhd d5kgqkm 9f whkv M hkvd v9 fkq. M w5ww vh9w y9u vhd vw9 d5ffdqdnv kppq9kch'v M 9q5g5nkwwy wkv w9nddq5ng kb9uv. M d5d vdd vhd vhd9qy bdh5nd vhd vdq5dv qdv5vv9q knd kgk5n M vkw vhd vhd9qy bdh5nd uv5ng juvv k zdndq knd k qdv5vv9q wh5ch uvdv up v99 much p9wdq, vv uv5ng k vqknv5vv9q v9 dq5vd vhd bkvd, whdqd y9u ckwcuwkvd vhd gk5n 9f vhd pkvv vqknv5vv9q v9 gdv vhd vkwud 9f dq5vd cuqqdnv nddddd v9 qun 5v v9 vkvuqkv59n. whdn M vq5dd vhdn vdq5dv qdv5vv9q vypd c5qcu5v whdqd vhd bkvd wkv h99kdd v9 vhd 5npuv 9f vhd qdguwkv9q M c9uwdn'v gdv vhd cuqqdnv M nddddd. Sddmv v9 bd k w5vvwd m9qd 9n vhd c9nvdqvkv5vd v5dd.Juvv kn 9p5n59n, buv M ndvdq hkd v5md v9 vwddk 9n vhd qdv5vv9qv much. M ckn vdd k v9wvkgd dq9p dq9p kcq9vv 5v(vdq5dv qdv5vv9q) knd p9vv5bwy bdvvdq qdguwkv59n, buv f9q whkv M nddd k c9upwd 9f v9wvv dq9p kv vhd 9uvpuv w5ww bd 9k. Mv dq9pv 2 v9wvv(fq9m 1f v9wvv) kv 16.x kmpv. Thkv 5v kww vhd un5v w5ww d9. M vq5dd 20 v9wvv knd dq9pv v9 12 vkmd kv bdf9qd. Mv wkv juvv kn dxpdq5mdnv. Mv dq9ppdd b v9wvv. Thd qdvuwv 5v 12 v9wvv 16 kmpv 5v vhd mkg5ckw numbdq 5v w5kdv, v9 M w5ww qun 5v kv 1x.b-1f v9wvv, whdn knd 5f 5v qdkchdv vhd fuww w9kd ckpkc5vy 5v w5ww hkvd v9md q99m v9 dq9p.