2 Illuminated Momentary push-button switches

jbronco

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Hello all,

I am new here and new to circuits and i was looking for some help.

I want to build a small box that has two illuminated momentary push button switches on top and when i push one it stays illuminated and when i push the other one i want the first switch to turn off and the second switch (the one i just pushed) to light up. if possible i was going to use a 9v battery to power the whole thing. i have the switches and some relays, just not sure how i would go about setting them up.

Thanks all for the help!

-JB

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello all,

I am new here and new to circuits and i was looking for some help.

I want to build a small box that has two illuminated momentary push button switches on top and when i push one it stays illuminated and when i push the other one i want the first switch to turn off and the second switch (the one i just pushed) to light up. if possible i was going to use a 9v battery to power the whole thing. i have the switches and some relays, just not sure how i would go about setting them up.

Thanks all for the help!

-JB
What you describe is a basic flip flop. What do you need to control. Low power? CMOS logic output do?
Something like this for the electronics. One specific switch comes on by default on power on. I haven't looked at switches yet.
Lighted switch? What color? Square? Round? Panel mounted? Do you have a distributor's catalog you can chose parts from? Digikey, Mouser, or ???
Mounted in a box?

Attachments

Last edited:

jbronco

Joined Feb 18, 2016
What you describe is a basic flip flop. What do you need to control. Low power? CMOS logic output do?
Something like this for the electronics. One specific switch comes on by default on power on. I haven't looked at switches yet.
I just want the lighted switches to come on, nothing to control. I want to use the box to keep track of what step I'm on during an assembly project. When. I'm on process "a" I hit the switch labeled "a" when I'm on process "b" I hit the "b" switch. So if I get distracted I can come back and know where I'm at.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I just want the lighted switches to come on, nothing to control. I want to use the box to keep track of what step I'm on during an assembly project. When. I'm on process "a" I hit the switch labeled "a" when I'm on process "b" I hit the "b" switch. So if I get distracted I can come back and know where I'm at.
Super. Getting simpler as we go along. It is on 8 hours a day? Battery powered?
Maybe just a switch or flag that toggles back and forth. Do you really need a light?

jbronco

Joined Feb 18, 2016
On for a good portion of the day, as I say it I realize batteries prob arnt best, I would like to keep it lighted just to go along with my other fixtures that are lighted, plus I already have two lighted switches ;)

jbronco

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Good. Are the switches compatible with the circuit so far or do we need to modify the circuit?

They should be compatible, id have to check, I left them at work. Let's just say they are, I do have a large supply of switches to work from if I need to change it up

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
They should be compatible, id have to check, I left them at work. Let's just say they are, I do have a large supply of switches to work from if I need to change it up
You may need to put a transistor on the output of the gate to drive the lamp. It looks like we are closing in on a design. 9 V battery? Does the company supply batteries?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Why not just use a SPDT switch to control the lights? Do you even need lights (a simple two-position object would do)?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Why not just use a SPDT switch to control the lights? Do you even need lights (a simple two-position object would do)?
Initially I assumed there would be more. A toggle switch would do it. When pushbuttons were initially mentioned I thought "Radio Buttons".

jbronco

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Ha goid
What would happen if you blatantly or not blatantly forget to push the correct button?

Ha good Question. After process "a" the unit being worked on needs to rest for 24 hours, after that process "b" takes place and you move on to final testing , but the unit that has rested is virtually indistinguishable from the unit that hasn't rested, so when you your doing both processes simultaneously you need a visual distinction, currently I'm using a notecard that on one side says a and the other says b and we just flip it over depending out what step your on