2 bit shift right

aloishis89

Joined Mar 24, 2009
I am working on a 4 bit bidirectional shift register for some homework. It needs to have several features, one of which is the ability to do a 2 bit arithmetic shift right. I know how to do this with 1 bit, but how do you do 2? Can someone give me an example of what this would look like with numbers and then how you would implement that? By the way, the circuit we are dealing with consists roughly of 4 mux's with their outputs to 4 flip flops. If you need more details, let me know.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Probably. That might be one of those details -
I am working on a 4 bit bidirectional shift register for some homework. It needs to have several features, one of which is the ability to do a 2 bit arithmetic shift right. I know how to do this with 1 bit, but how do you do 2? Can someone give me an example of what this would look like with numbers and then how you would implement that? By the way, the circuit we are dealing with consists roughly of 4 mux's with their outputs to 4 flip flops. If you need more details, let me know.
- you mention. What do clock cycles have to do with the original post?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Each input has a 2:1 mux. One selection is the adjacent FF, and the other selection is the FF two stages away. It is similar to how a barrel shifter is built. You do have to be careful to correctly propagate the sign bit.