2 basic flip-flop and counter question

lamborg

Joined Nov 16, 2012
Can someone tell me how to solve these questions, or the formula required? Google didn't help at all.

1. What is the output frequency of a decade counter that is clocked from a signal of 50Hz?

2. How many flip flops are required in order to reduce the clock frequency by a factor of 32? (I think the formula for 2^n or something like that)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
1. how many clocks does it take to count to 10?

2. Actually, it would be the inverse of 2^n...
\(log_{2}(n)\) where n is the division factor as a multiple of 2...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Can someone tell me how to solve these questions, or the formula required? Google didn't help at all.

1. What is the output frequency of a decade counter that is clocked from a signal of 50Hz?

2. How many flip flops are required in order to reduce the clock frequency by a factor of 32? (I think the formula for 2^n or something like that)
I think the reason you can't find anything is because you appear to be wanting just to find some formula that you can plug and chug without understanding what is going on. That's not a good way to learn something.

For your first question:

Q1) What is a decade counter?

Q2) What output from the decade counter are you trying to find the frequency of?

Q3) What is the behavior of that output as the decade counter is clocked (in it's normal operating congifuration)?

Q4) How may clocks are required for that output to return to the same state?

For your second question?

Q5) What is the effect of putting a single flip flop in the clock path?

Q6) How many times does this effect need to happen to get the desired result?