1kΩ resistor degrades to 10Ω

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Hi,

I have a set of resistors (see image) where one 1kΩ has dropped to less than 10Ω and darn near ruined a microcontroller.

The package says it can withstand 250V although I'm almost certain peak voltage has not exceeded 50V in any of my experiments where the nominal input is 5V.

Search results say this is an uncommon experience and I purchased the set from a reputable supplier in my area. Bad luck? I'm debating throwing the whole set out in favour of expensive resistors as I am slowly investing into high quality parts. Luck would have it that current was limited elsewhere in my circuit so today's microcontroller was sparred. I'm not so certain about next time..

Regards,
Mark

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Showing a picture of the actual resistor would have helped. How do we know you simply read the color codes wrong instead of a value changing?
Sometimes the color bands are poor quality, and some colors look like others.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Recently, I accidentally destroyed some resistors to the point that they were spewing out flames, smoke and combustion debris.
Surprisingly, they still measured their correct nominal resistance value afterwards.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Another thing, as I my eyes age showing preliminary indications of cataracts, it is becoming more difficult for me to discern between certain colours, brown, red, and orange, for example, besides the fact that some resistors are badly coloured in the first place.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Mystery solved. Turns out I mistook a 12Ω for 1kΩ with the red and black bands reversed. I don't recall taking one out of the set, evidently there are still 9 left on the tape. Unfortunately the distinction between gold and brown is poor at best and yellows don't show up at all unless well lit.

This topic can be placed in the dumb-dumb category haha

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Partial True Color Perception is my issue. I can distinguish the differences between Brown, Red and Green IF I have sufficient light and magnification. When it comes to Blue and Purple I have a real hard time. I have to stop and ask myself if I see any Red in the Blue. If I see Red then it's Purple. I've done that thousands of times with much success. But like some of the other aging people here, I, too, am experiencing more difficulty discerning colors. My electronics hobby is slowing down and I'm moving more towards wood working.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Another thing, as I my eyes age showing preliminary indications of cataracts, it is becoming more difficult for me to discern between certain colours, brown, red, and orange, for example, besides the fact that some resistors are badly coloured in the first place.
My old vision was immensely improved with cataracts surgery. Now things look very clear and colours are vivid.
Very cheap resistors have red, orange, brown and gold using the same paint colour. Green and blue also use the same colour.

My old hearing was immensely improved with hearing aids that can do tricks that normal hearing can't do.

Hey, I am 76 and I can run fast like a younger guy.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Partial True Color Perception is my issue. I can distinguish the differences between Brown, Red and Green IF I have sufficient light and magnification. When it comes to Blue and Purple I have a real hard time. I have to stop and ask myself if I see any Red in the Blue. If I see Red then it's Purple. I've done that thousands of times with much success. But like some of the other aging people here, I, too, am experiencing more difficulty discerning colors. My electronics hobby is slowing down and I'm moving more towards wood working.
As your vision deteriorates, moving towards hobbies involving high speed saw blades is a good idea.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
My old vision was immensely improved with cataracts surgery. Now things look very clear and colours are vivid.
Very cheap resistors have red, orange, brown and gold using the same paint colour. Green and blue also use the same colour.

My old hearing was immensely improved with hearing aids that can do tricks that normal hearing can't do.

Hey, I am 76 and I can run fast like a younger guy.
Your birth certificate indicates 76 but with all of your replacement parts, your effective age is likely lower.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Old things like me (76) usually get improvements (recalls?) done to them. My tonsils and appendix were removed but never replaced.
After a heart attack two of my plugged up heart arteries got stents installed to keep them open, a big improvement that saved my life. 3 shots of Covid-19 vaccine and Flu shots every year are also saving my life. I got hepatitis vaccines when travelling.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
That and some cheap LED lamps have enough UV in the light to cause some bands to fluoresce to another color entirely.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with tiny lines on a piece of plastic. I generally keep my components well sorted and I check resistors often however I use 1k, 10k and 100k most so I just grab what's on top. That being said who knows how many circuits I used the 12Ω in where I meant to use 1kΩ. I was testing two IR LEDs on my camera and noticed one super bright which measured 110mA! Luckily I was using a 3.3V pin so it must have found a balance point because it was continuous for a few minutes and both the LED and uC are fine.

Adventures in electronics :)

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I can go one better... A few months ago I was replacing a couple of bulbs with 3mm LEDs in a moving coil meter and forgot to use a resistor at all.. They didn't last very long
:p

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Both before and after cataract surgery my ability to read the color codes on metal film resistors is greatly enhanced when using a small white LED flashlight with a particular LED in it. I found that the color stripes would undergo metamerism when viewed under various light sources. Now that flashlight and a magnifying glass are always at the ready.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
As your vision deteriorates, moving towards hobbies involving high speed saw blades is a good idea.
Excellent point. However, I'm acutely aware of spinning cutters and the potential for loose clothing getting snagged and pulled into the blades. But I laugh with you on your comment.
Both before and after cataract surgery my ability to read the color codes on metal film resistors is greatly enhanced when using a small white LED flashlight with a particular LED in it. I found that the color stripes would undergo metamerism when viewed under various light sources. Now that flashlight and a magnifying glass are always at the ready.
I recall arguments here on this forum about colors on a resistor. When I see what appears to me as Red Red Orange on MY screens, others, and not just a few, saw Brown Black Yellow. Of course I'm making up the colors, but the point is that what I see on my screen is often different from what the majority sees on their screens. Hence, if someone posts a picture of a resistor and asks what the color code translates to - I stay the heck away from answering because I have no idea how MY screens may be altering the colors. Nor do I know what sort of lighting the TS may be asking about used.