1Hz Signal, Counting Bits, Frequency Divider (Guidance Requested)

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I need help, and guidance.

I want to learn about the process of generating a 1Hz signal, using Counting ICs.

Where do you suggest I start?

Learning about Counting ICs?

I know what binary is, and I know how to count in binary, and I also know how to convert binary to decimal, or base 10.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 893 1 pps.PNG

I want to learn about the process of generating a 1Hz signal, using Counting ICs.

I know what binary is, and I know how to count in binary, and I also know how to convert binary to decimal, or base 10.
Is something like this what you were asking for?
60 Hz coming in. We select the divide by 32, 16, 8 and 4 outputs. When these bits are high we should be at a count of 60. That's 1 Hz. We reset the counter and start again.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Here's a 1 Hz accurate clock generator using a 32768 Hz crystal and a 4016 and 4013 chip.
Did you mean 4060 & 4013 IC? Because that's what it shows on the circuit diagram. Also, could you please show me where to find the parts for this? I tried looking on Mouser Electronics, and couldn't find the parts. I like shopping at Mouser, because it's a reputable place, that I can trust. I've never had a part that didn't work, when I purchased from Mouser Electronics. I was looking at JAMECO, but.. I never ordered from them yet.

1hz-oscillator-circuit.jpg

Is something like this what you were asking for?
60 Hz coming in. We select the divide by 32, 16, 8 and 4 outputs. When these bits are high we should be at a count of 60. That's 1 Hz. We reset the counter and start again.
Could you please help me today? I spent the last several days trying to learn about the NAND Latch, NOR Latch, NAND Flip Flop, NOR Flip Flop, D Latch, D Flip flop, and JK Flip Flop etc. etc. All I could really find on YouTube was mostly indians teaching digital electronics. I watched all those videos, and I still don't understand how the heck how the

This is mostly what I watched. Here

I honestly don't understand why there aren't more Americans, etc. teaching electronics on YouTube.
I just want to learn and understand how these decade counters, frequency dividers get hooked up.

I want to learn how to divide the 32.768Khz into 1Hz, and I want people to help me understand how it's hooked up in a circuit, please.

Will this one work? CD74HC4060E

Here's a little video I did on the NAND SR Latch in Circuit Simulator.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

The 4060 counter has a crystal oscillator front end for a 32,768 kHz watch crystal, but I think you need an extra couple of divide 2 JK flip-flops to get down to 1Hz. The appnote for that chip will give you a lot of the answers. Don't just download the first appnote you find and leave it at that - some are better than others.

AFAICR: the 4040 has enough stages to get from a watch crystal to 1Hz, but you have to build an oscillator circuit for the crystal. There used to be an off the shelf universal clock/watch chip, but I haven't seen any for years.

Those cheap bedside travel clocks get you somewhere close - AFAICR: the unipolar stepper motor uses 2 pulses per second, so you may still need a JK on the end. Unless you can find a very old clock - it will have a "black-blob" chip, so you'd have to salvage the whole PCB to use it.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hey, Your RPM is way over the gear that you're in. Don't blow the engine man;). One thing at a time. The schematic you found and posted in post #9 should work, however what are you going to do with that signal? Just for learning purposes?

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Hey, Your RPM is way over the gear that you're in. Don't blow the engine man;). One thing at a time. The schematic you found and posted in post #9 should work, however what are you going to do with that signal? Just for learning purposes?
Yup. Just for learning purposes. I want to make a simple 1Hz signal. After I learn how to do that, I'll maybe learn how to increment a 7 segment. but the 7 segment as well as whatever makes it possible for the 7 segment to change from a 0,1, 2, 3, 4 etc. will sit on a shelf whever it's at right now. I just want to learn how to make the 1hz signal, Just gonna sit here in 1st gear, until I learn the how to make a VERY STABLE 1Hz signal. So that circuit will do that then huh.. Ok.. I need assistance understanding how it's wired up. Preferably with images, ... I'm more of a visual learner.

Can you point me to where the parts are for that circuit?

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Yup. Just for learning purposes. I want to make a simple 1Hz signal. After I learn how to do that, I'll maybe learn how to increment a 7 segment. but the 7 segment as well as whatever makes it possible for the 7 segment to change from a 0,1, 2, 3, 4 etc. will sit on a shelf whever it's at right now. I just want to learn how to make the 1hz signal, Just gonna sit here in 1st gear, until I learn the how to make a VERY STABLE 1Hz signal. So that circuit will do that then huh.. Ok.. I need assistance understanding how it's wired up. Preferably with images, ... I'm more of a visual learner.

Can you point me to where the parts are for that circuit?
I've never tried that circuit myself but I pretty sure that you'll get a somewhat stable 1hz signal(somewhat meaning closer than you would ever want for something that is just for learning purposes)

You are not trying to make a 24 hour clock right? Just an 1hz pulse that will increment the number on a 7 segment display so you can play around with to gain understanding?

After you have made the 1hz clock signal you want to tap it into an IC/IC's that counts and controls an 7 segment display right?

Can you point me to where the parts are for that circuit
CD4060 and CD4013 you should be able to find online.

Here is a circuit that uses 555 as monostable instead of astable(your clock circuit) but you should probably be able to see how to use your clock to control the CD4026

http://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/555-timer-seven-segment-counter-circuit
Datasheet http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4026b.pdf

Just some food for thought...

Last edited:

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I've never tried that circuit myself but I pretty sure that you'll get a somewhat stable 1hz signal(somewhat meaning closer than you would ever want for something that is just for learning purposes)

You are not trying to make a 24 hour clock right? Just an 1hz pulse that will increment the number on a 7 segment display so you can play around with to gain understanding?

After you have made the 1hz clock signal you want to tap it into an IC/IC's that counts and controls an 7 segment display right?

4060 and CD4013 you should be able to find online.

Here is a circuit that uses 555 as monostable instead of astable(your clock circuit) but you should probably be able to see how to use your clock to control the CD4026

http://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/555-timer-seven-segment-counter-circuit

A Clock is the main goal. I want to learn one thing at a time. So the 1Hz signal is what I'm trying to do right now. I don't want to mess with 555 timers, they're not accurate. I'll use a 32.768Khz crystal.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
A Clock is the main goal. I want to learn one thing at a time. So the 1Hz signal is what I'm trying to do right now. I don't want to mess with 555 timers, they're not accurate. I'll use a 32.768Khz crystal.
Which is why I said Your clock but not the 555 he/she used;)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
(...) I honestly don't understand why there aren't more Americans, etc. teaching electronics on YouTube (...)
I´d honestly want to know which countries do you count as etc. in this context. You know, the US being at the bottom end of the spectrum of general education and all that...

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I´d honestly want to know which countries do you count as etc. in this context. You know, the US being at the bottom end of the spectrum of general education and all that...
Canada, UK, ...

I see lots of people from the UK teaching electronics on YouTube. At least as far as I'm aware of.

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014

4060 and CD4013 you should be able to find online.

Is this the 4060? CD74HC4060E

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Did you mean 4060 & 4013 IC? Because that's what it shows on the circuit diagram. Also, could you please show me where to find the parts for this?
Is this the 4060? CD74HC4060E
Yes, I meant the CD4060 and CD4013.
They can be found here.

The CD74HC4060E is a higher speed version of the CD4060 but it operates at no more that 6V versus 15V for the CD4060.