1957 Ford Pickup Radio Capacitor Changeout

hotrodjohn71

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Hi group. If I have posted this question amiss, or if it is not appropriatefor the forum, please advise. I am a novice in the electrical field. Thank you.

I am changing a capacitor in an AM radio from a 57 Fird Pickup. The cap was made by Bendix and is # L220353-4.
It appears to have one (-) and 2 (+) and 2 additional mounting legs.

I watched a tutorial where it was replaced by (2) modern caps achieving the same outcome, but not utilizing the (2) mounting legs of the original capacitor.

Im trying to determine what those (2) modern caps are so I can procure and install them, or if a suitable substitute exists.

Here are some photos. A couple are from the tutorial.

I hope Im not being too vague.
Thank you

Attachments

hotrodjohn71

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Thank you ericgibbs.

I saw those caps on ebay also.

I think that I read somewhere that the issue with those caps is that age is the enemy. They are supposedly oil or paper tyoe and have a purpensady to dry out over time.

The capacitor in my radio is old, but the cap on ebay might be almost as old although never installed.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank you ericgibbs.

I saw those caps on ebay also.

I think that I read somewhere that the issue with those caps is that age is the enemy. They are supposedly oil or paper tyoe and have a purpensady to dry out over time.

The capacitor in my radio is old, but the cap on ebay might be almost as old although never installed.
Old stock is certainly a possibility, and the newer caps are probably a better choice. As for the unused mounting tab locations, some times they also served to provide connections to other PCB traces. So I suggest tying all three mounting tab holes together just in case. But avoid causing any shorted circuits.

hotrodjohn71

Joined Jun 15, 2024
I apologize for being so vague.

The old caps in the picture above are 'outside foil' wax caps.

They are 200 volts WVDC and .1 MFD.

The cap in the photo from eBay (above) appears to be a similar capacitor so I am wondering if it would be a good replacement.

Also, is that old wax capacitor electrolytic? or can it be installed either way?
Thank you

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The non-polarized capacitors, like the wax coated ones, can be installed either way with no problems. The original concept was that when they were used as BYPASS capacitors, with one side tied to chassis "ground", that the outside foil would serve as a shield to keep external electrical noise out of the circuit being bypassed. Quite an interesting idea, but how much it ever mattered I don't know. BUT that is the explanation for why the outside foil connection was marked.

hotrodjohn71

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Can you help me undetstand something that is puzzling me tonight?
My original capacitor says 250 MFD, but the one suggested says 250 uf.
Some places I have read that MFD and uf mean exactly the same thing, but seems like just as many say otherwise.

There seems to be a 1000 times difference between micro and mili.

How should I understand this?
Thank you,
John

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Some folks choose to use that symbol for the word "MIcro", while others of us do not have that symbol conveniently in our font file. Then also there is the confusing misuse of "mil" for "thousand" or "thousandth".
With capacitors there is, fortunately also the fact of relative size. A "250 uf. "=250 microfarad capacitor will be a larger physical size, and most often be polarized as well. And the really good news is that "micromicro" has now generally been replaced by "pico", as in "picofarads" a much smaller unit of capacitance, and always a physically much smaller capacitor.