1944 to 2014 superimposed, then and now.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Directions : Just click on the photo anywhere and it will become 2014. Click again and it will go back to 1944; or you can left click and hold on each photo, and then drag your mouse gently from left to right on the original photograph and it will be become a photo of the exact same location and view in 2014. Drag it back to the left and you are back in 1944!

Scroll down for more of the same.

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

Max.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It really was interesting. What caught my eye was what they decided to keep vs. tear down and start over. Somehow in the USA I doubt any building last very long.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It really was interesting. What caught my eye was what they decided to keep vs. tear down and start over. Somehow in the USA I doubt any building last very long.
About the same in Canada, that is one thing that struck me when moving/living here, in UK a building would have had to be in really bad shape to be torn down and start over, ' always make use of it if you can, just modify it'.:rolleyes:
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Many thanks Max, for those memories.:)
Eric
BTW: Even though I was only boy around that the time, I still recall.
Your welcome.
And usually a boy hearing a plane overhead, the first words were, 'Is it one of ours'?
But got to the point where the particular engine noise/sound gave it away.;)
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Somehow in the USA I doubt any building last very long.
Sometimes I do this with Google Earth. I have photos in my mind of places I have lived, as far back as 60 years ago.
All the buildings I lived in are still there! :) Mostly the same, just a few trees have been replaced. My apartment in California used to be next to an old house with old trees. The whole lot was on the verge of being taken over by vegetation. I picked a pomegranate from my second floor kitchen window! Now it's a blank, flat, dirt space.:(

A block down the alley, it's hard to tell if the avocado tree is still there. It had to be 40 or 50 years old when I ate from it. Do they live 100 years? Some big tree is in that spot, but I grew a camphor tree that big in 25 years. Can't tell from here.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I found it striking when I was in Rotterdam, what people referred to as "new construction." I looked around for contemporary architecture and that wasn't what they meant. They meant the 70 y/o buildings built after the war.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Looking at the US ships and US soldiers, and seeing where Europe is today and how Europeans think about Americans today, I wonder if the soldiers would still think that it was worth their sacrifices.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I wonder if the soldiers would still think that it was worth their sacrifices.
There were many races that fought and died in many thousands on the side of the allies, of which it could be said was not really their war.
Muslims, Hindu's, Sikhs, Gurka's and others.
Ironically a few years ago here a Sikh tried to enter the Legion after a memorial parade and was barred entry because of his Turban.
In spite of having a chest full of WW11 medals, and having been allowed to wear the turban into battle!
Max.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Looking at the US ships and US soldiers, and seeing where Europe is today and how Europeans think about Americans today, I wonder if the soldiers would still think that it was worth their sacrifices.
I suspect they would. It wasn't about Europe per se, but Nazi Germany having an empire. They probably would not have stopped after taking Great Britain.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hitler was like a megalomaniac on Meth. He was playing Risk with a real planet. The more he won, the higher his aspirations. If he accumulated enough power to come after us, he would have. Seeing the inevitable, we had to whack him, sooner rather than later, if only to reduce the body count.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I cannot speak for the rest of Europe. but rest assured the WW2 'Brits' still think highly of the 'Yanks'.

#12 has got it exactly right, as did President Roosevelt in 1940, if Britain fell, you were next.

E