18V battery connecting to DC buck converter

Opale7000

Joined Aug 1, 2018
I have connected a 10w cob led at output and test lead still burn. There is no led lighting up on the buck converter. I am assuming the buck converter is dead. Could this have caused because of first did not have load?

Opale7000

Joined Aug 1, 2018
Bingo. When connecting test lead incorrectly to test multimeter things falls apart pretty quickly. Thanks for your assistance and all about circuits.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I have connected a 10w cob led at output and test lead still burn. There is no led lighting up on the buck converter. I am assuming the buck converter is dead. Could this have caused because of first did not have load?
Hi,
Thats one of the problems with the Chinese products, the documentation is minimal and often wrong.
I would say the module is defective, return it for refund or replacement.
E

EDIT:
Are you now saying its working OK.?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If the Battery leads you connected to the converter were crossed over and the wires melted, that short circuit current must have been flowing thru a pathway on the converter,???
Do you see any signs of heat damage on the converter PCB and is it now working OK with a load connected to the output.?

E

Last edited:

Opale7000

Joined Aug 1, 2018
Yes. The test lead from 18V battery to Buck converter acted like a FUSE. I am now lighting a 10W cob led at 106 ma and see how many hours it will last.