16lF84a with pickit 2

reaman4ever

Joined Sep 2, 2007
I recently bought a pickit 2, and planned to use it with some 16lF84a chips which are 18-pin. Did I messup? does the pickit support these chips? If not is there some kind of adaptor I could use?

Also has anyopne had experiance returning things to newark?
thanks

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
The PICKIT 2 works with all PIC16F micros... you should have no problems.

I doubt Newark would take anything back without charging a re-stocking fee. Just a guess though...

reaman4ever

Joined Sep 2, 2007
I posted this because i was having trouble getting my pickit 2 to recognize my PIC16LF84A. When I go to the pickit 2 program (the program with the "read" "write" "erase" options) it automatically recognizes the pic16f690 that came with the pickit 2, but i can't get it to recognize my PIC16LF84A. It keeps telling me to insert a device (and yes I pushed down really hard to make sure my pic is in)
thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It looks like the information in the Pickit 2's user's guide Section 3 describes the considerations that must be met to insure programming success. Of particular interest is the need to isolate the PIC pin needed during programming. MCLR has special isolation considerations that must be met.

Have you reviewed this section for any clues to what may be needed?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings reaman4ever,

I would like to apologize for accidentally closing your thread. I have reopened the thread and this reply will bump it back up to the top of the forum for further discussion.

hgmjr

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Isn't any list available to check whether it is supported or not by the Pickit2? I am sure there is one, somewhere in the Microchip environment.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Isn't any list available to check whether it is supported or not by the Pickit2? I am sure there is one, somewhere in the Microchip environment.
PICKit2 will program it but you can't plug the F84A into the same socket as the F690.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
So how would I set it up?
The user guide has a schematic showing the prgramming pin connections and connector pinout. Match those up with the F84A's appropriate pins. There should be a clock, data, ground/vss, vcc, vpp/reset.

reaman4ever

Joined Sep 2, 2007
So, based on figure 3-1 in the user guide for the pickit 2, I have the following connections
1. Vpp/MCLR-> RA3 and/or MCLR
2. Vdd->Vdd
3. Vss->Vss (gnd)
4. ICSPDAT/PGD->RA0
5. ICSPCLK/PGC->RA1
6.AUX-> not connected

I have also tried with ICSPCLK/PGC->RA4/T0CKI
I have tried with and without the 10k pullup resistor on some of the wires.
What setup should I be using?
thanks

eeboy

Joined Sep 27, 2007
As i remember it the PGC input on the F84 is RB6 and the PGD input is RB7 (not RA0 and RA1 as you indicate).

Also, the VPP/MCLR connection should be made to MCLR not RA3.