12v WiFi signal booster 100m+

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
Hi guys,

I've got a project I'm looking at doing soon, I have a fishfinder that is WiFi enabled and can be connect to a tablet or phone via a WiFi app, the main screen unit can then be controlled by that paired device, the main screen unit will be going inside a radio controlled boat, and I would like to view the main screen unit via a tablet that is connected via the WiFi app from on the shore.

I get a range of about 40m max at the moment, but I want to increase this up to 100m+.

The fishfinder has nowhere to connect any WiFi type cables so without stripping it apart I could not modify it in any way, so all I can do is use the built in WiFi connect facility within the unit.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way I could achieve what I'm trying to do, or give me some alternative suggestions ?

Im not 100% up on WiFi signals and how a booster would connect between the 2 units as there is no router in between them, like what is used in a home for boosting internet as an example, so I would be happy to learn as much as possible !!

I would really appreciate some information & advice.

If anymore information on the unit would help with an answer please do ask, i will do my very best to provide any information.

Many thanks
Andy.

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Hey Andy welcome to the forums, please post the model numbers of the equipment, and a block diagram maybe of what your setup is.
Maybe we can help with a different approach, a yagi antenna setup, etc., there are plenty of bright and helpful people on this forum.
That's why I drop by here :)

I kind of get what you are doing, are you using your phone as the wifi hotspot?
*Edit I suspect you are using the network generated from the devices;
http://www.rcdronearena.com/2016/03/15/wifi-fpv-vs-5-8ghz-fpv-vs-2-4ghz-fpv-explained/

Last edited:

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
Hi, thanks for the 2 great replys, they are much appreciated !! The WiFi boosters you have suggested look great, the part that confuses me is the ethernet cable, would this need plugging into one of the devices to allow for the repeating or receiving of the WiFi signal ? This is were the problem starts, the fishfinder has no ports, and I don' think tablets do ? However a standard laptop would !! This may be the thing I'm looking for :) I will post more information on the parts I will be using in case it gives better information for any other solutions, this has defiantly given me a better idea of running the project.

Many thanks
Andy.

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
Actually looking at the more expensive fishfinder units they do have ethernet ports.

I'm going to take a closer look at the specs of each unit, maybe upgrade !

Andy.

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
Well by what I can see the ethernet on the fishfinders are a 6pin round plug style, not like the standard ethernet connectors !

More questions ha ha

Andy.

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Hi, thanks for the 2 great replys, they are much appreciated !! The WiFi boosters you have suggested look great, the part that confuses me is the ethernet cable, would this need plugging into one of the devices to allow for the repeating or receiving of the WiFi signal ? This is were the problem starts, the fishfinder has no ports, and I don' think tablets do ? However a standard laptop would !! This may be the thing I'm looking for :) I will post more information on the parts I will be using in case it gives better information for any other solutions, this has defiantly given me a better idea of running the project.

Many thanks
Andy.
The RJ45 plug is for internet connection and plugging into a laptop to configure I'm sure. It picks up the Wifi signal and re-broadcasts it at a higher power.

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
The RJ45 plug is for internet connection and plugging into a laptop to configure I'm sure. It picks up the Wifi signal and re-broadcasts it at a higher power.
I'e had a good look at the item you suggested, I've emailed a seller to ask If I would need 2 of them, one near the tablet and one on the boat, I'm not sure !! Will see what they come back with, if that does not work then I will post more info and try again :)

Cheers for all of your help up to now !

Andy.

andypee

Joined Mar 17, 2018
Just need one on the boat, put it in a Ziploc bag to keep it dry.
Oh you will need this;
http://www.prodctodc.com/dc-12v-to-...er-supply-buck-module-p-137.html#.WrFerZdG2F4

Lol it says its fever is very low!

*Edit; You could try it in hotspot mode, or even from shore first.
Lol :) thats a great link again, I was only thinking yesterday how I was going to convert the power cable, top find !

Right I will go for ordering one and see how we get on !! Fingers crossed !!

Really appreciate all your help.

Andy.