12V DPDT relay wiring help

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Hi Vu2nan,
For the cat5 cable would i connect a pair, 2 wires out of the 8 for cat5 to the coils, and other end to the switch? This part of the wiring gets confusing to me? Do i need to use more than 2 wires for power etc. And if so how do I do that if the battery is on board and no batteries at the surface, or would i need a battery at the surface as well? Thanks.
Hi travy641,

Ideally, you would need 3 wires per toggle switch - one for +12V from the battery, the second to K1 coil and the third to K2 coil. The reason is the voltage that would be dropped in 100 feet of wire.

That would make it 9 wires for 3 toggle switches. Since you have only 8 wires in the CAT5 cable you would have to use 2 in parallel for the battery and the other 6 for the coils.

untitled5.JPG

Please do not forget fuses for the +12V cables going to the motors and the toggle switches. They should be located near the battery. Also the freewheeling diodes for the relay coils, which may be located at the coil terminals itself.

- Nandu.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You could use 2 SP DT relays & your ON-OFF-ON toggle for each motor.
From Sgt. Wookie. Skip S3,4, S1,2 are the toggle SW. Motor will run as long as either S1 or S2 is closed; Both held on ,motor stops.
Motor Reverse 00000.png

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Last edited:

travy641

Joined Apr 26, 2020
I’m with Ron. There’s still time to do this “right”. Save the relays for something else. H-bridge ICs will save a lot of grief, especially since you can buy preassembled modules on eBay.

Here’s a fairly fancy one that can apparently control two motors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3-36V-1...328312?hash=item1c9d4068b8:g:0VsAAOSwm6JaTzt-
Hi wayneh,
Would I need an arduino if I went this route? Just curious as I already have 3 motor drivers that work fine with my motors; however, I originally tried going the arduino route and it quickly became a head ache trying to program it to handle 3 joysticks and respond the way I wanted, so I gave up for the moment and wanted to try a "simpler" approach now, and would revist the arduino version a little later after working out the programming issues. And I also have an arduino/uno/mega 2560, raspberry pi 3, and 4. Thanks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi wayneh,
Would I need an arduino if I went this route? Just curious as I already have 3 motor drivers that work fine with my motors; however, I originally tried going the arduino route and it quickly became a head ache trying to program it to handle 3 joysticks and respond the way I wanted, so I gave up for the moment and wanted to try a "simpler" approach now, and would revist the arduino version a little later after working out the programming issues. And I also have an arduino/uno/mega 2560, raspberry pi 3, and 4. Thanks.
No, you could do this without a microcontroller.