12v DC proximity detector for use on truck (2-3 feet range)

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Hello. Well after the 3rd time getting hit at work, this last time was major damage... of course no one said anything. I suspect that the issue is parking. The parking lot is a crappy design. Anyways, I built a bull bar for the rear bumper (its a truck) but I need some type of proximity device that will cover the sides. Especially the rear quarter panel of the truck bed. I would like a circuit that activates the truck horn when it detects an object within 3 feet. (I wonder if there is anyway to discriminate from people walking by?). Any ideas on a circuit? Thanks!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Interesting idea. However, what happens if I park next to you (don't hit you) and I set off your horn? You come out of work at the end of the day to a dead battery.

There are dash cameras with motion/collision sensing capability. If someone hits you then pulls away, if you have the camera pointed in the right direction you see who did it. Not only do you see - you have a video record of the incident. You can take that to court and make them pay for the damages.

Geez! I hope you don't work at the same place as my wife.

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
That was my next thought... lol... was thinking about it. Maybe a adjustable timer? Runs for X amount of time and then shuts down, resets but activates again when new field detected?

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
I have a dash cam... however, I was not able to get the plate of the person, and since it was in the rear the footage was not clear. This last time they peeled the bed under on the truck. Had to go through my own insurance.

Its in a medical environment so it it not necessarily employees but patients as well...

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
I guess I could try to re-locate the cam, but it would literally be incumbent upon my spouse turning it on... Im try to make this fool proof... lol

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, if you make it fool proof I'll just make a better fool.

Get a handicap sticker and park in the handicap parking. Honestly, I love handicapped people. If it weren't for them I'd NEVER find a parking space. (not true at Walmart)

Is the damage the same area every time?

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Thanks. The way the parking is, its a magnet for a sure collision, handicap is worse - a guy the other day totaled 2 brand new cars by trying to fit between both (thought the gap was another space). Thanks on the cam. If anyone has thoughts on a circuit please post. Thx

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Check out other video's by that same guy. He's got me thinking about replacing my old dash cams. The one I like best so far is the A119 V3. Has GPS that I want and has parking mode where it buffers and records seconds before an impact as well as the impact and a period of time afterwords. At least I THINK that camera has those features. I've looked at so many now it's starting to run together. Make sure you find all the features you want before you spend money and then say "Tony told me it had this feature." I don't want to be responsible for misleading you.

Moderators: I'm not advocating or advertising anything. This is what I've found and what I think I'm going to purchase shortly. Edit my post if you feel you must. If a moderator edits my post you can contact me via "Start A Conversation". But understand, I'm not an expert on these things.

pityocamptes

Joined Jul 25, 2012
Thx. I still would like a preventative method. I will look at the cam video. If someone has a schematic I would appreciate it... thx again