12v DC photocell switch that powers one circuit at day and another at night?

Daniel J Clark

Joined May 16, 2016
Does anyone know of a component - preferably weatherproof - that will power one 12v DC 65w load during the day, and switch to a different 12v 65w load at night, never powering both at once?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Do you actually need a power source or just a device to do some switching?
A photocell and relay could easily..

Quick search turned up this which would do it but would require a 24V source to power it and a separate photocell.. But it seems that it could easily do the switching that you want..
They may have a 12V version or there may be another out there..
https://www.hubbell.com/hubbellcont.../Daylight-Harvesting-Controls/DLCPCC/p/220890

I would think there are SPDT photocells out there though.. or as stated just get a photocell and a form C (SPDT) relay and put it into a watertight box..

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Does anyone know of a component - preferably weatherproof - that will power one 12v DC 65w load during the day, and switch to a different 12v 65w load at night, never powering both at once?
The heart of it would be a photocell or any number of light sensors. You want to switch between two 12 VDC 65 Watt loads which is 12 VDC at about 6 Amps so allowing headroom 12 VDC at 10 Amps. Hard to make suggestions without knowing your location but a simple Google of 12 VDC Photocell will bring up a few dozen hits like those on Amazon. Use the output to drive a simple SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw 12 VDC automotive relay. The photocell can be a simple Dawn to Dusk and some versions allow setting how much light when switching takes place. Pretty much a matter of exactly what you want and the exact application.

Additionally you can buy the relay with a pre wired socket, like this one.

Ron

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Or something like this on Ebay you could put in a sealed enclosure. DC 12V Photoelectric Switch Sensor Relay Module 50mmx25mm w 2 Cable LW
SG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using two units and only one can be on it would be preferable to use a contact on each relay for interlock, as there could be some overlap when two sensors are detecting a light source, or lack of.
Also can there be a dead period or must one or the other be on at any given time?
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Another option, much simpler, would be to have a simple switch to switch on the fountain when you wish to see it, and switch it off the rest of the time.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How did you know it was a fountain?

Ron
It was mentioned someplace at one point, earlier during the discussion. I think about the time that it was explained that we were not discussing 220 volt mains power switching. The suggestion that I had initially offered would have been a very simple and easy way to do it if the power were 220 volt mains. 12 volts from a battery system makes it more complex.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
It was mentioned someplace at one point, earlier during the discussion. I think about the time that it was explained that we were not discussing 220 volt mains power switching. The suggestion that I had initially offered would have been a very simple and easy way to do it if the power were 220 volt mains. 12 volts from a battery system makes it more complex.
Thanks as I was wondering, fountain? What fountain? :)

Ropn

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Are you referring to this thread?

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/digital-switch-between-devices-please-help.147172/

If so, different thread and different user name.