12v car starter

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
A pulse width modulator (PWM) would work better. You can use the search function (in the blue bar up top) to find lots of information on PWM.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
When under load (starting an engine), starters draw hundreds of amps. Definitely not a candidate for a rheostat.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
PWM is very economical. Won't hurt the motor, either.

When motors burn out from running too slowly, its because of mechanical loading. If you'd like details on why, I can provide some links.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Do You know how much current the motor draws when you are winding up the spool? You may need some hefty MOSFETs or IGBTs to PWM a starter motor.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You may have a hard time with the project. Car starters are series wound for max power, and may not be very controllable, even with PWM. I wonder is a VSR drill wouldn't do better.

neorules

Joined Nov 30, 2007
I often use hacked $15 power tools for drive motors on robots I build... The built in gear box helps... Starter motors have lots of power but aren't designed to run very long... They are high current high heat devices... Most PWM controllers would pop when you first use the starter. (back EMF).

most winches that are used to pull things (car boat) use a smaller motor with a worm gear reduction or a complex planetary gearbox.

What is the pull you need?
check banebots on the web.. they make small gear motors that are just like the guts of bigger powerdrill / screwdrivers but are generally less expensive.
JC

neorules

Joined Nov 30, 2007
The only way to tell is to try....
The back EMF and of course the noise a starter makes I think would toast even the stronger esc's.... Unless you have soft start and current limiting as well as ramp down on the stopping....
The arc you get hooking up the cables to the battery from the starter isn't anything compared to the arc I got when I took the batter cable off... LOL...
scared the pooooo out of me...
A lot of guys have tried to use them in robotic combat and often tried to use a solenoid instead only to have them arc weld their contacts after a while of running....
Plus the heat.. I don't think the standard wound starter likes to run more than a few minutes at best.....

But then again I do have some nicer 300 amp speed controllers...
Hmmmmmm... do I "smell" an experiment...

But that is just my oppinion... Hopefully somebody else will chime in here....
JC