12v 4 channel relay module

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
I bought a 12v 4channel relay module from AliExpress. I connected a 12v power supply to the postive and negative leads. Now when I touch a 12v +ve wire to any of the 4 input signals, the relay doesn't work. When I connect the two coil leads on the back of PCB the relay works perfectly. I need guidnace on how to make it work from the actual input signal leads.

What I am doing is that I have several 12v bulbs that I want to connect to an arduino nano. I want the bulbs to operate and send a signal to the relay which will close the switch and a 5v connection will form at the relay which will be connected to arduino.

Attachments

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I bought a 12v 4channel relay module from AliExpress. I connected a 12v power supply to the postive and negative leads. Now when I touch a 12v +ve wire to any of the 4 input signals, the relay doesn't work. When I connect the two coil leads on the back of PCB the relay works perfectly. I need guidnace on how to make it work from the actual input signal leads.

What I am doing is that I have several 12v bulbs that I want to connect to an arduino nano. I want the bulbs to operate and send a signal to the relay which will close the switch and a 5v connection will form at the relay which will be connected to arduino.
I have some of these devices – they can be configured such that the relays are energised with the input signals either high or low.

This is set by the position of the jumpers shown towards the bottom right of your photo – so you simply need to change all 4 jumper positions.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I have some of these devices – they can be configured such that the relays are energised with the input signals either high or low.

This is set by the position of the jumpers shown towards the bottom right of your photo – so you simply need to change all 4 jumper positions.
Should have added that each relay input signal, has provision for the connection of two wires (signal and return).

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Please post a link to the product so we can see the manual.

ak
The only information available on the product page.

1PC 12V 4 Channel Relay Module with Optocoupler Isolation Supports High Low Trigger 828 Promotion

Specifics
Brand Name OOTDTY
Contact Load Low Power
Voltage 12V
Power Source DC
Theory Other
Protect Feature Other
Usage Other
Descriptions

Features:
1. Maximum load:AC 250V/10A, DC30V/10A
2. SMD optocoupler isolation, strong driving ability, stable performance; trigger current 5mA
3. the module voltage 12V
4. each channel module can be set high or low triggered by jumper
5. fault-tolerant design, even if the control line is broken, the relay will not operate
6. power indicator (green), 4 relay state indicator (red)
7. interface design user-friendly, all interfaces are available through the wiring terminal direct connection leads, very convenient

Module Port:
1. DC+: DC power supply positive
2. DC-: DC power supply negative
3. IN1: Channel 1 signal trigger terminal
4. IN2: Channel 2 signal trigger terminal
5. IN3 : Channel 3 signal trigger terminal
6. IN4: Channel 4 signal trigger terminal
Relay Output:
1. NC1: Channel 1 relay normally closed pin.
2. COM1: Channel 1 relay common pin.
3. NO1: Channel 1 relay normally opened pin.
4. NC2: Channel 2 relay normally closed pin.
5. COM2: Channel 2 relay common pin.
6. NO2: Channel 2 relay normally opened pin.
7. NC3 : Channel 2 relay normally closed pin.
8. COM3: Channel 2 relay common pin.
9. NO3: Channel 2 relay normally opened pin.
10. NC4 : Channel 2 relay normally closed pin.
11. COM4: Channel 2 relay common pin.
12. NO4: Channel 2 relay normally opened pin.
High And Low Level Trigger Option:

1. S1: It is option switch for channel 1 relay.
2. S2: It is option switch for channel 2 relay.
3. S3 : It is option switch for channel 3 relay.
4. S4: It is option switch for channel 4 relay

Size: 7.3x5x1.7cm/2.87x1.38x0.67inch
Quantity: 1 Pc

Note:
Please allow 1-3mm error due to manual measurement. pls make sure you do not mind before you bid
Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Thank you!

1 Pc x Relay Module

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The jumpers are not set, you need to put the jumper to High Com, this will set it to an High input, or Low Com for a Low input.

Do this for each channel.

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
The jumpers are not set, you need to put the jumper to High Com, this will set it to an High input, or Low Com for a Low input.

Do this for each channel.
I have tried both, high com, low com, removed the jumper completely. Nothing happens. The circuit might be faulty, but the relays are operational if I connect directly to the coil pins. Totally lost.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Where did you buy this from? It's possible you bought a factory reject. Not saying you did, just saying that sometimes these things are cheaper to throw out than to repair. So they sell off their stock of failed parts to a third party who then puts them on Amazon or E-Bay. Maybe even Craig's List.

Either that or you're not operating them properly. Can you give us a diagram of how you're hooking them up and testing them?

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
Where did you buy this from? It's possible you bought a factory reject. Not saying you did, just saying that sometimes these things are cheaper to throw out than to repair. So they sell off their stock of failed parts to a third party who then puts them on Amazon or E-Bay. Maybe even Craig's List.

Either that or you're not operating them properly. Can you give us a diagram of how you're hooking them up and testing them?
As it is a 12v relay, I connected +ve and - ve to the pins. Then I used a jumper wire to connect 12v+ to one input signal.
This picture will clear it, the picture does not have the jumpers put in place, but while testing they were connected to High & ComIMG_20180410_072844.jpg

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Already seen that picture. Didn't clear anything up for me.

Again: Can you give us a diagram of how you're hooking them up and testing them? And, where did you get them from?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Try striking input #2 to ground instead of +12V.

[edit] I'm also wondering if the inputs should be 5 volts and not 12. I'll peruse your data sheet.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The way its written makes it sound like it's from China. And something you bought on E-Bay. Sadly they don't state what the input parameters are. If they're only 5 volts then there's a chance you could have blown out an opto-isolator chip or two. I'm also concerned about you saying that the relays work when you touch voltage to the pins of the relay itself. Concerning because a relay will operate with either polarity. But if you reverse biased a transistor - that could be another problem you're dealing with.

If you can't get it to work properly then send it back and get your money back. Then tell us what you're trying to do and the best way you think you can accomplish your goal. Then we can give you better guidance and assistance. Until we know more about what you're doing - it's all guesswork from here on out.

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
The way its written makes it sound like it's from China. And something you bought on E-Bay. Sadly they don't state what the input parameters are. If they're only 5 volts then there's a chance you could have blown out an opto-isolator chip or two. I'm also concerned about you saying that the relays work when you touch voltage to the pins of the relay itself. Concerning because a relay will operate with either polarity. But if you reverse biased a transistor - that could be another problem you're dealing with.

If you can't get it to work properly then send it back and get your money back. Then tell us what you're trying to do and the best way you think you can accomplish your goal. Then we can give you better guidance and assistance. Until we know more about what you're doing - it's all guesswork from here on out.
I tried everything, striked with ground, 12v and arduino. Nothing worked.
Maybe the module is damaged. I'll get it refunded.
Meanwhile I want to thank you all for being so prompt and helpful. I need one last advice. What I want is that I have a circuit of 12v leds, I want the aurdiono to know weather these are on or off. If you could guide me on how to accomplish that, it would solve my entire problem.
Once again thanks everyone