120v lighting power pack 24v low voltage switching controlled by reed relay

bigmuddy99

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Hello there, I am trying to operate a light using a reed relay. I have a leviton power pack and am using a reed relay to do the switching. It works for a while and then the reed relay seems to get stuck, or magnetized. I take the magnet off and move it around the reed relay and eventually it opens and the light shuts off. Do I need to add a resistor in line or a diode of some sort or what am I missing? Below are the specs for the reed relay and attached is a picture of the powerpac specs.

Total Length: 45mm.
Glass Length: 14mm.
Glass Diameter: 2mm.
Contact Form: A.
Maximum power: 10W.
Maximum switching voltage: 300VDC.
Min. Breakdown Voltage: 150 VDC.
Maximum switching current: 0.55A.
Max. Operate time: 0.45 ms.
Bounce time: 0.25 ms.
Max. Release time: 0.35 ms.
Resonant Frequency: 5000 HZ.
Max. Operating Frequency: 400 HZ.
Pull in Value: 20-70 AT.
Min. Drop out Value: 4 AT.
Max. Contact Capacitance: 0.5 pF.
Electrical Life: 50mV-10¦ÌA-1x106.

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
At a glance I can't see where you are doing anything wrong. I assume you are switching the 24 VDC? You seem to be working within the limits of the reed switch. Maybe another member has some thoughts?

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Based on the specifications for the actual switch, unless the power pack is a highly inductive load the switch should handle it. Reed switches will stick if the micro surface on their contacts become pitted. Under normal operation they should last hundreds of thousands of cycles. When you mention "behind a plate" I assume the plate is non-magnetic. My best guess is remove and replace the reed switch. They are relatively inexpensive from distributors like Amazon.

Ron

bigmuddy99

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Based on the specifications for the actual switch, unless the power pack is a highly inductive load the switch should handle it. Reed switches will stick if the micro surface on their contacts become pitted. Under normal operation they should last hundreds of thousands of cycles. When you mention "behind a plate" I assume the plate is non-magnetic. My best guess is remove and replace the reed switch. They are relatively inexpensive from distributors like Amazon.

Ron
Thanks Ron. The plate is non-magnetic. I'll try another one. Maybe I damaged it when hot gluing it to the back? Reed switches seem pretty fragile. Maybe hot glue was a poor choice.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hot melt glue is fine. Bending the leads can crack the glass. Hold the lead in pliers between the glass and where you want the bend so there is no stress applied to the glass.

bigmuddy99

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Hot melt glue is fine. Bending the leads can crack the glass. Hold the lead in pliers between the glass and where you want the bend so there is no stress applied to the glass.
Thanks you for your advice sir. I did grip the wire near the glass with a pair of needle nose before I bent them.