120v AC to 12v DC - LED Lights to Battery

pookerton

Joined Jan 11, 2021
I tried searching but was having a hard time finding the proper results.

I've included two pictures and will include the links to each page. What I am trying to accomplish is to connect these 120v AC LED lights to my battery; which I use to run my fish finder.

I've purchased a switch and in-line fuse. The battery has a male spade terminal so I've used piggyback style spade connectors to have my fishing unit connected and the lights at the same time.

However, I just cannot understand what I need to do to get these lights up and running. Would very much appreciate the help if someone could explain. Thank you!

Battery: https://ampedoutdoors.com/products/30ah-lithium-battery-lifepo4-replaces-20ah-same-size-and-weight

Light: https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...46-c-7490.htm?tid=-2165879555910705482&ipos=6

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I am trying to • • • connect these 120v AC LED lights to my battery; which I use to run my fish finder.
You can't. 120VAC has two things your battery doesn't. First, your battery has 12 volts, not 120 volts. Second, it has DC. Your LED (light strip) needs AC.

If I may make a suggestion, since you have a 12V battery go to an automotive parts store and buy some light sockets and some 12 volt LED tail lamps. That will work for what it sounds like you want to do. No need for inverters, which are far more expensive than LED tail lamps and sockets. Plus, you're keeping things safe by NOT having 120VAC on your boat. Otherwise, if you want to modify the control box - it will take considerable work and skill.

pookerton

Joined Jan 11, 2021
Appreciate the tips.

I am curious to understand. If you look at the picture of the LED lights there is a box and I wonder if that is adapting the LED lights to be 120v AC. If so, what if I cut the line before that box. Any thoughts would be appreciative. Thanks.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
That box converts 120VAC to 12VDC. There are typically four lines with color changing LED strips. One line is a common line and the other three are powered by a varying current going to each color-string. By turning up the Red and Green you get Yellow or a color based on what those two colors combined make. And perhaps those varying colors are controlled by the duration a particular color is lit. Add in the Blue and you can get many different colors. But the box has a lot going on inside. First it converts 120VAC to 12VDC. Likely - and I don't know this for sure - it uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) for regulation. Then there's a microchip or some other sort of smart chip that controls the color changing sequence. Finally, there's the intensity control, which "Probably" controls the amount of current going to each color-string.

You can build your own control using three potentiometers (pots for short) to control how much current goes to each string. But now you give up the automatic varying color patterns that are programmed into the box controller. I have something similar in my spa. Slow sweeping through the entire color range to create "Chroma-Therapy" or CT. Soaking in the jetted tub with Pink Floyd playing while lights slowly change color - one can get quite lost in the sensory of light, sound and turbulent waters. It's a nice way to relax after a hard day of work or shoveling snow. But lately we haven't had much snow. But snow is off topic.

I would have to open the box controller to see IF there's a way to feed 12VDC to it. It might be doable. In fact, it probably IS doable. I just wouldn't know how or be able to tell you how to.

Can I ask why you want color changing lights on your fishing boat? I can see a "Party" boat; music and lights. But fishing? Since a fishing trolling motor is pretty quiet I'd imagine playing music while fishing would be counter productive. I've never tried night fishing. Unless you're doing it by the light of the full moon.

pookerton

Joined Jan 11, 2021
The light is for my ice fish house to run off my 30ah 12v DC lithium battery that powers my fish finder.

I purchased them not so much for the color changing aspect (they just came that way) but because of the waterproof nature of the roll.

To you point if I cut before the box I'd likely have 12v DC with the R,G,B and 12v.

pookerton

Joined Jan 11, 2021
They make the same type of "rope" lights for 12 volt operation. Why not simply get the proper product.
Absolutely. I had this one already. It originally wasn't intended on being used for this purpose.

Was trying to understand if I removed the in-line box which accepts the 120v AC and converts to the LEDs which I assume are 12v if I could make it work.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Appreciate the tips.

I am curious to understand. If you look at the picture of the LED lights there is a box and I wonder if that is adapting the LED lights to be 120v AC. If so, what if I cut the line before that box. Any thoughts would be appreciative. Thanks.
The problem with cutting the line is the box in addition to making a low DC voltage also controls the color changing of the lights colors. You can likely use an inverter as mentioned but something I am unsure of is how the light supply (little box) which is designed for a 120 VAC 50/60 Hz sine wave input will react to the MSW (Modified Sine Wave) from most inexpensive inverters. Not like you need a lot of power, likely a cheap 200 watt inverter would suffice, I am just not sure about the wave shape. An inexpensive 200 watt inverter runs about $20 to $25 USD a true sine wave output likely a 300 watt will run about $50 USD.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It might even be possible to tap into the connection from tghat little box to the LED strip and discover what voltages are present, and be able to provide them from another source. Of course a detailed examination of the light string may reveal the connection scheme as well. The challenge with assemblies like this is that usually there are LRDs in series and so the voltage required is greater, often some inconvenient level.