12 volt supply to 5 volt system

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Just use a coat hanger make a coil put a fan on it and make lots of heat.
It would last longer LOL.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Finally, now I get it a glow plug. Never saw the link.
A 4.4 Volt 25 Amp Glow Plug which saw 12 Volts.

Ron
I didn't see the link, either, and was wondering why people were talking about glow plugs all of a sudden.

I don't see how such a glow plug could pull even 100 A from a 12 V supply, let alone 1000 A. Unless something else is involved.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I didn't see the link, either, and was wondering why people were talking about glow plugs all of a sudden.

I don't see how such a glow plug could pull even 100 A from a 12 V supply, let alone 1000 A. Unless something else is involved.
I read right through that sucker. Yeah, I'm wondering what's with the glow plug thing? :) Maybe I was on target with the cremation thing after all?

Had a friend when I lived in Italy who had this old 240D Mercedes Benz which was a 4 cylinder diesel but it had 5 glow plugs in series. The 5th plug was actually in the dash. When you held a switch to heat the plugs you looked at the one in the dash and when it was glowing nicely you hit the starter. That thing had one serious major battery. :)

Now the 0.011 resistance actually makes some sense.

Ron

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I read right through that sucker. Yeah, I'm wondering what's with the glow plug thing? :) Maybe I was on target with the cremation thing after all?

Had a friend when I lived in Italy who had this old 240D Mercedes Benz which was a 4 cylinder diesel but it had 5 glow plugs in series. The 5th plug was actually in the dash. When you held a switch to heat the plugs you looked at the one in the dash and when it was glowing nicely you hit the starter. That thing had one serious major battery. :)

Now the 0.011 resistance actually makes some sense.

Ron
I'll throw my hat in the ring at the risk of offending the thread starter. Could this be the usual confusion over how many amps are available vs. how many will flow?

In other words, I think a glow plug that's designed to see 4.4V and pull 25A was connected to a 12V supply that's CAPABLE is delivering over 1000A, but that in fact it delivered something more on the order of 68A (following basic ohms law calculations.) As usual, power supplies don't force a specific amount of amperage to flow anywhere, they simply provide voltage and ohms law does the rest!

Having said that, if it's true, it was still potentially very bad for the glow plug if it was run that way for long enough to over heat (which wouldn't take long at over 7x the rated wattage!)

So the question for the thread starter is this: How do you know what amperage flowed through the glow plug? Was there a measuring device of some sort monitoring the current flow, or is that just the current rating of the 12 volt supply that was used?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Now how did you all miss that?? LOL
View attachment 145258
I saw that YOU were all of a sudden talking about glow plugs -- but had no idea WHY you were talking about them all of a sudden. Given the tangents that threads get drawn in all the time, I don't spend a lot of time why someone goes off on one. So I figured that, for some reason, you were just suggesting that it might be a glow plug that he was using.